We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesky Turkish Airlines !

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Pesky Turkish Airlines !

I travelled with Turkish Airlines in Dec 2012 for two weeks holiday Lond - Msa Kenya return and they delayed my return flight, Istmbl - Lond.

my Luggage was put in another flight- upon arriving in Lond Hthrw I saw that it was badly damaged, slashed open at the bottom and wrapped with CLING FILM with "RUsh JOb" tag on it!

I complained ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP OF THE AIRLINE INCL THE EU TRAVEL COMMISSIONER

Turkish Airlines refused to replace my damaged bag and goods,...SINCE THEY ARE NOT COVERED WITHIN EU TRAVEL REGS.

Only other option is to bring a EU small claim which would cost me £££ and there's no guarantee.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pesky Turkish Airlines !

Is there a question in here somewhere?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pesky Turkish Airlines !

I assume you had travel insurance.

uk
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pesky Turkish Airlines !

Did you report the damage immediately upon collecting it and recieve a damage report?

If not i stuggle to see how you could prove it was damaged in transit.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,000 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pesky Turkish Airlines !

Why didn't you claim on your travel insurance, much easier and quicker than going to all this trouble. I do trust you had travel insurance?

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pesky Turkish Airlines !

Only other option is to bring a EU small claim which would cost me £££ and there's no guarantee.

==========

It's not the only other way Abdul, As Hans states, you should claim on your travel insurance.

Have a look at your policy to check on amounts payable for delays and damaged luggage and send them the report from when you reported it at the airport. You could be getting yourself a nice shiny new bag!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pesky Turkish Airlines !

Provided the OP does have travel insurance, which i'm kinda thinking he doesn't

southern england
Level Contributor
414 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pesky Turkish Airlines !

I doubt that the baggage handlers are part of 'turkish airlines' anyway,but part of the ground force employed by the airport, so travel insurance is the way to go, if indeed he has any.

uk
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pesky Turkish Airlines !

I personally suspect that the OP didn't report the damage ón collection.

If hé did I'd be very surprised that TK weren't at least going to pay to replace the bag - contents is a different matter of course. I had a badly damaged bag ón arrival into LHR once ón an Egyptair flight. The handling agents at LHR actually had a cupboard full of a variety of bags which they offered mé a choice of. As my case was a Samsonite, and the replacements were generic i declined the offer. Samsonite repaired the case and Egyptair reinbused mé. Just méntioning to show it has nothing to dó with EU regs.

Without an initial damage report hé Will also struggle to claim ón his insurance - should hé have it.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 14:44
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,672 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pesky Turkish Airlines !

Hi,

Without seeing the bag, my guess here is that a "slash" is more indicative of the bag being caught in a belt-system "pinch point" or being caught by a diverter-arm device..

Both places tend to result in "burn/melt" damage (when the bag is caught in the belt and get friction burn damage) or "rip/tear" damage (when the diverter cuts into the bag as it extends or retracts)

Normally you've got to report *visible* damage to the carrier before you leave the airport, since once you leave it can be asked if the damage really did occur in transit or at some point *after* you left the airport.

So, IF the OP didn't report it, and assuming TK's baggage rules are as most are, I suspect there's not a lot of claim here at this point.

However it *sounds* like some kind of report was made.. If so, I'd like to know what was TK's grounds for a refusal.. it's not uncommon for wear and tear and events outside of the carriers control to be excluded, but many carrier will do some type of action if the bag is damaged beyond reasonable measure.

Travel Safe,

10. Re: Pesky Turkish Airlines !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 06:20