We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA prices and AA codeshare...

Stockholm
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
BA prices and AA codeshare...

I'm about to book my flights to LA early Oct...does anybody think the prices will go down a bit before then? I know BA just had a sale but it wasn't for North America... seems the prices go up a bit all the time, currently at the £750 range, way more than I payed last year.

Second question: the codeshare flights on AA are cheaper, quite a lot approx £100 one way....is AA less quality, worse planes or what? :) Those flights of course take longer with 2 connections instead of the one connection at Heathrow with BA...(I fly out of Stockholm)

I fly economy btw...

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA prices and AA codeshare...

The extra connection is the main reason for the lower price, airlines dont price more if it takes longer to get there, or if there are more connections, they price cheaper, since most people would want a quicker shorter journey with fewer connections and woudl pay more for that.

As to what will happen to prices, no one knows.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA prices and AA codeshare...

Aha..thanks

yeah extra connection is a hassle... I'd like to do immigration at my last stop since it usually seems to take forever.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BA prices and AA codeshare...

What's your route (ARN - ?) Much more help can be forthcoming with that information.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA prices and AA codeshare...

ARN-LHR-LAX is the most direct way with BA

Penryn, United...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA prices and AA codeshare...

BA did have a sale recently it ended on the 16th as i managed to get a flight to san francisco for cheap

Stockholm
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA prices and AA codeshare...

noo way... I've been looking for a few weeks, must have not been much difference on my routes then cos it wasn't much cheaper :(

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: BA prices and AA codeshare...

Are you flying one way or return? I'm seeing prices in the £650 range for ARN-xLHR-LAX on most days in early October (with a 14-21 day stay). This would be on a BA flight (with AA code) from ARN to LHR, connecting to AA metal from LHR to LAX.

AA operates its new 777-300s on the LHR-LAX runs, so the previous advantage they held in comfort (the 777-200s have more legroom and a wider seat in economy) are now moot; it's pretty much the same space as on BA's 747s, i.e. really uncomfortable on 10-hour flights. BA will be flying A380s to LAX by October; we'll have to wait to hear how they stack up in terms of comfort.

Frankly if it was me I'd look at an itinerary that still uses the "old" AA 777-200s, such as LHR to Chicago or JFK. First, the flight from London will be more comfortable, and second, the pass through immigration and customs is likely to be quicker than at LAX, and the chance to stretch your legs would be welcome. Returning it's less a problem, because you have the benefit of tailwinds that shorten the flight by over an hour eastbound.

One thing to note is that AA will allow you to pre-select a seat at no charge, while BA will charge you for the privilege. Beer and wine are free on AA transatlantic; you pay for hard liquor. On BA the hard stuff is free, (and necessary as an anesthetic.)

Stockholm
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA prices and AA codeshare...

Thanks for the info on AA! free pre-select seating sounds nice..

I'll keep looking... am flying returnof course btw but staying well into Dec.. sometimes that raises the price.

I'm used to the 747's, hoping to get the A380 this time I guess...I don't like to fly in general so the bigger the plane the better has always been my thought :)

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
193 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA prices and AA codeshare...

Similar to you, Nightguest, I've been watching BA/AA for sale prices from Manchester to San Diego with no joy. I've not flown with either of these two airlines and found Ibgardyloo's reply particularly helpful as I'm not an experienced flyer.

10. Re: BA prices and AA codeshare...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 05:15