We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines Edinburgh to New York -any good?

3 posts
Save Topic
United Airlines Edinburgh to New York -any good?

Going to New York in May 2014. Has anyone flown United Airlines to New York from Edinburgh recently. Is the service reliable in terms of taking off on time, no overbooking etc. I am not overly concerned with onboard facilities but just that I am not going to be subject to delays, cancellations etc. If UA not reliable then will will probably go via Heathrow with BA - would prefer a direct flight though.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines Edinburgh to New York -any good?

Overbooking is extremely common and delays can happen to any airline at any time. There are absolutely no guarantees and there are risks with every flight regardless of airline or route.

Not taken this flight but I would go direct from Edinburgh on UA. Shorter journey and less chance of problems than taking a connecting flight.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,007 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines Edinburgh to New York -any good?

I don't know that particular route, but United is about as reliable as any of the major airlines. If anything, adding a connection in London, on any airline, will be much more likely to have a delay than a direct flight on United. LHR's a big, busy airport with lots of air traffic delays and adding a connection means possibility of missing a flight and two flights that need to be on time instead of one.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,103 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines Edinburgh to New York -any good?

I've flown UA from Manchester to New York and they are perfectly fine for this journey - no airline/route is ever immune from delays, cancellations or any of the other problems associated with air travel but they are outside your control so don't worry about it.

I would certainly pick the direct flight over the LHR connection with BA.

Dundee Scotland
Level Contributor
126 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines Edinburgh to New York -any good?

I have just flew back from Newark to Glasgow...we had a slight delay waiting on cargo being loaded onto the plane....service was excellent...great IFE....I'm planning on using them again next year....

Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines Edinburgh to New York -any good?

Thanks for the replies. UA it is then.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,433 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines Edinburgh to New York -any good?

What equipment? If it's the narrowbody 757 you're in for a cramped trip. Give me BA any day of the week! Isn't BA about to start their whale to JFK - A388?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines Edinburgh to New York -any good?

I rode it (in business class) a couple of weeks ago. On time departure, quick flight, no complaints. The bad news is that you find yourself in Newark.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines Edinburgh to New York -any good?

Isn't BA about to start their whale to JFK - A388?

Not yet.LAX and HKG are the first 2 routes.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,581 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines Edinburgh to New York -any good?

I've not flown the United (ex-CO) 757 in economy, just once near the pointy end. But I had a good look at the economy cabin when I boarded and it looks fine. The E+ is roomy (like the domestic 757s), and you have in seat video with full AVOD (which I've experienced on other ex-CO long hauls in economy), and a very good selection of movies.

Plus, the non stop to the US cuts out Heathrow and potential trouble with any missed connection.

The only "downer" is that the 757 is single aisle 3x3, so you'd have to disturb (or be disturbed by) a seat mate wanting to get up and stretch/take a bathroom break. But you'd have that on most seats on a 777/747 anyway. IMO the fact that you fly non stop to the US and avoid the Heathrow connection greatly outweighs that downside.

Immigration at Newark can be a long'un, very busy so expect an hour minimum to clear the visitor line (it wasn't far off that for me in the US line). If NYC is your final destination, EWR has an airport railway station with frequent train services to Penn Station in Manhatten.

Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines Edinburgh to New York -any good?

Thanks for all the replies. I think the 757 will be fine in terms of comfort. The direct connection is the deciding factor for me. I guess any waiting time in immigration at Newark is offset by not having to wait for connecting flights at Heathrow.