We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking KLM codeshare flights on Delta.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Booking KLM codeshare flights on Delta.com

Hello all,

I have a question regarding KLM codeshare flights booked on Delta.com. I am considering flying to Germany via Amsterdam on Delta, where I would switch to a KLM-operated flight. I have heard about issues concerning seat assignment when booking on Delta.com, that the seats for the KLM operated flight selected on Delta's website don't stick. Is this true, and what is the best way to book this sort of flight? Would I be better off booking everything on KLM's website, or would I be OK with using Delta's website to book?

Also, with this type of flight, since the second flight would be operated by KLM, is it possible to get both boarding passes upon checkin with Delta, or would I have to pick up the second one in Amsterdam. Also, upon checkin with KLM in Germany for the return, would I be able to pick up both boarding passes, or would I have to get the Delta boarding pass in Amsterdam?

Any advice you can provide surrounding this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

FlyingIsCool22

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking KLM codeshare flights on Delta.com

Unless things have changed since I last looked, the only DL operated flights from AMS are back to the US, with the exception of India. If you wanted to fly a DL aircraft to Germany, you would have to fly from a US hub to Germany. Detroit to Frankfurt is the only one I know off the top of my head. I am pretty sure you can get to Munich or Berlin via JFK or Atlanta.

The DL-KLM hand-off is really not a big deal. Sometimes they do have issues getting boarding passes, but that is also not really a big deal. Go with the best price and flight times. If it happens to go through AMS, it is an awesome airport. If you are going to get stuck somewhere - that is the place to get stuck.

seattle
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking KLM codeshare flights on Delta.com

Flew DL/KLM SEA-AMS-IST and return in May this year. In both directions boarding passes for all flights printed at originating airport. No problems with pre-selected seat assignments. I booked on the Delta web-site.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,191 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking KLM codeshare flights on Delta.com

In May I fley DL/KLM LWS/SEA/AMS/FCO and back from FLR. Boarding passes were printed for the whole outbound journey at the originating airport, but in SEA the DL gate agent announced that all boarding passes originally printed by Alaska had to be reprinted so we were reissued boarding passes for SEA/AMS and AMS/FCO.

When I originally booked the seats they did *stick* but the plane config changed which wiped out the original seats and the next go-round they would not stick (either on my account on the DL site or the KLM site), so had to call CS for help. Next time I book on a DL/KLM codeshare if the seats don't stick the first time thru I will get DL CS on the phone right then for assistance and not think I have done something wrong! BTW, I booked on the KLM site originally as they would allow an Alaska flight from a local airport whereas the DL site naturally defaulted to a round-about Skywest routing. All subsequent issues I handled with DL with good results.

Pam

Watton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking KLM codeshare flights on Delta.com

Booked flights NWI/AMS/ATL/ALQ and return earlier in December on Delta's website because KLM's was playing up - it worked out a few £s cheaper too!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
893 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking KLM codeshare flights on Delta.com

It's always been a bit hit-and-miss getting the KLM boarding passes when you checkin with Delta. I haven't found a common factor for the times when it works or doesn't work. I've also had some times when BPs are printed but by the time I get to AMS KLM have reassigned my seat and so had to get a new BP. I tend to have better luck getting the BPs on checking when the KLM flight is a long haul out of AMS (e.g. to Africa) and much less luck on short hauls.

6. Re: Booking KLM codeshare flights on Delta.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:17