We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Standby

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Standby

Hi All

I have a cheap promotional return ticket from Turkish Airlines with a return date for the 6th August 2013, Any one know if I can just turn up at the airport and get on the next flight out with seats available? I have tried their reservation line but been asked to pay upto $1400 more to book a seat. the whole ticket only cost $756 so understandably I don't want to do that, Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated

All the best

Jack

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Standby

Doubtful that you can just turn up and fly on a non-changeable ticket without paying a change fee and difference in fares.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,024 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Standby

Just turn up at the airport before or after your original return date? Either way I'd be pretty certain the T&C's of the ticket won't allow you to do it.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Standby

I realize it is a very busy time of year as well!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Standby

I have a cheap promotional return ticket from Turkish Airlines with a return date for the 6th August 2013, Any one know if I can just turn up at the airport and get on the next flight out with seats available?

--------

Yes, Turkish Airlines know, what happened when you asked them?

<<I have tried their reservation line but been asked to pay upto $1400 more to book a seat>>

Well, there's your answer

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Standby

not really, that is what happens when you try to rebook, they actually said " we are not allowed to tell you what would happen if you turn up at the airport" it did sound strange to me, maybe to discourage people from doing it? does any one know for sure.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,467 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Standby

"does any one know for sure." - The only honest answer is no, even if somebody was able to do this previously it does not mean that you'll be able to do so - a cheap promotional fare will either allow no changes or significant fees if changes are allowed.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Standby

not really, that is what happens when you try to rebook, they actually said " we are not allowed to tell you what would happen if you turn up at the airport"

===========

So in that case all you can do is try it and see, bit of a pain since you might have to stay at LHR for several days, and might never get an earlier flight anyway. I know some airlines have a simple policy of not allowing people on earlier, but the answer from Turkish sounds slightly hopeful else surely they would just have said "no chance".

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Standby

Yes you are all quite right and quite wise! I guess it is just wishful thinking on my part, Thanks for your thoughts though

9. Re: Standby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:20