We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One World Visit South America Pass

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
One World Visit South America Pass

Hi

My partner and I will be spending 3 months in South America from the end of October this year. I began looking at internal flights and nearly had a heart attack at the prices!! We will be entering and leaving SA on One World airlines and thus I am interested if anyone has had experience with the Visit South America Pass they offer.

This pass is attractive as apparently you only have to book in your first flight and just inform the airline what other point to point flights you want, this leaves us with flexibility that the LATAM airpass doesn't offer. Our first flight will be Easter Island to Santiago and then we will be visiting Patagonia, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador, so no doubt there will be a lot of flights.

Does anyone have any recent costings that they might have been provided by One world,it seems the One World website has VERY little information and the QANTAS and AA websites have absolutely nothing. The only way QANTAS will share pass information is by calling them and the last time I rang QANTAS I spent 40 minutes on hold, so I don't fancy ringing them if I don't have to.

I have found these costings but they're from 2009-

southamerica.travel/South-American-Flights/O…

Anyone else?!?!?

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One World Visit South America Pass

You can always call QF and ask. The Oneworld website is useful for planning. Remember that everything depends on a particular fare basis being available for the flights you want.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One World Visit South America Pass

We used the Oneworld pass last year. Brilliant and so much cheaper. We did however book our flights in advance so I'm not sure about the booking as needed component. Each sector is priced on miles. I do have a list somewhere and if I can find it I will post it this evening. I phoned Qantas when I needed the info and they were very helpful. They did say that not many people use this pass because it is not widely known about. We found it to be extremely good value.

I would advise persuing this as it is a very cost effective way of travelling throughout SA. All of our sector flights were with LAN and we flew in and out of Santiago with Qantas.

Those costings have increased but not by much. They are a reasonably good guide.

Edited: 28 July 2013, 22:16
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One World Visit South America Pass

Hi Dimarie

If you could find that list that would be excellent!

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One World Visit South America Pass

I have had a search of my notes but could not find the complete list of zones and prices. We have recently moved and they are most likely still in storage. Sorry.

What I can tell you is that the mileage on the link you posted are correct and that the zone 2 price was $182Au and the Zone 5 price was $359Au. This was in 2012.

To give you an indication of distance, Santiago to Iguazu is Zone 2, Buenos Aires to Lima is Zone 5.

To fly from Quito to Santiago required a combination of zone 2 and zone 5 I think, if memory serves me correctly.

My advice to you is to call Qantas. I recommend after 8pm in the evening and ask them for the details. You are more likely to have less phone hold at this time. Also if you google flying miles from A to B you would most likely find those details. (Miles not km.)

Good luck and stick with it. We were happy we used this option as it saved us considerably. Just keep a check on it in manage my booking on the Qantas site to make sure no changes occur. We had a change in airfare that noone notified us of (Qantas or LAN) and I just happened to check one day and discovered it in time to fix it.

Happy travels.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One World Visit South America Pass

Try this link for flying distances.

http://www.airmilescalculator.com/distance/

Edited: 29 July 2013, 09:06
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One World Visit South America Pass

So I bit the bullet and phoned Qantas and the lady I got was pretty helpful.

The prices for the zones as listed on the One world website are as follows (in US$, not including taxes):

Zone 1- $153

2- $168

3-$251

4-$285

5-$390

6-$480

There was a bit of confusion about the terms and conditions and I feel rather annoyed that I was told on the phone that Qantas cannot send me the full terms and conditions (which doesn't seem right to me at all, surely it breaches some kind of consumer protection law?!?). It says on the One World website:

"All destinations you wish to travel to must be stated at time of purchase, before departure from country of origin. You need to make a reservation (confirm the flight number and date) for only the first segment of the trip. All remaining segments may be left open, as long as the reservations are made at any time prior to the day of departure on the segment concerned. Local fees may apply."

The lady was saying that they have to make reservations on all of the flights and then you have to ring up to change the reservations, which doesn't sound like it matches what One world says. She said there is a service fee per person of $60 when first purchasing all the flights and then of $20-$50 per person every time you call up to book in the date and time of the pre-purchased flight. The advantage of this pass over LAN pass was meant to be flexibility but paying perhaps $50 every time you book a flight it could quickly erode any savings over point to point fares. I accept that there will be a service fee but $50 seems a bit much.

The lady is going to clarify with the pricing team and get back to me on Wednesday. Hopefully they favour my reading of the terms over hers. Does anyone else have experience of confirming dates/times as you went along, and how did you do it?

Dimarie- What was your experience of booking in the date/time of your flights? I note you said you booked in advance, I assume that means all flights- date/times were confirmed before you left Aus? Do remember then if teh service charge was about $60 per person? Thanks for the airmiles calculator, it's absolutely perfect for this kind of thing!!

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One World Visit South America Pass

Yes, we locked our dates/flights in prior to leaving Australia. The airfares were non-refundable and cost $50 pp if we decided to change anything. I'm sorry I can't help you with the costings of booking as you go. When I travel I like to have things pretty much worked out and locked in so I don't have to think about how to get from A to B and where to stay. With three months away though I can understand why you would like to book as you go. Our trip was only 5+ weeks.

I do know that not all Qantas employees have the same understanding of the pass and the fact that she is clarifying with the team is a good thing. You should get accurate information that way. The first person I spoke to knew heaps, the second hardly anything and the gentleman who booked ours said ours was his first one in all his years at working at Qantas. It went smoothly though.

Gook luck.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One World Visit South America Pass

Thanks Dimarie, do you remember if they provided you with the full terms and conditions in writing when you booked? It seems rather dodgy to me that the lady said they can't be provided.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One World Visit South America Pass

I'm sorry but I don't recall. I think we discussed them over the phone and as ours we pretty straight forward we were happy to proceed. If I find any more information in my travel notes I will PM you with them.

Have you read the T&C's here?

oneworld.com/flights/…visit-south-america

My reading of it is that you need to book your internal flights prior to leaving Australia. Perhaps it is only the LAN pass that allows you to book as you go? You would need to clarify that with Qantas.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 08:57
Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One World Visit South America Pass

Well I didn't read that very well did I! You do only need book the first segment before departure. My apologies.

You have probably read the T&C's on this page but in case you haven't...

oneworld.com/flights/…oneworld-explorer

Edited: 30 July 2013, 09:02