We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada Rouge

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Air Canada Rouge

Has anyone travelled on Air Canada ROUGE? I am a frequent Air Canada flier can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

11. Re: Air Canada Rouge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 September 2013, 16:35
Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Thanks for your opinions on Air Canada Rouge. It help me be better prepared for my flight with them to Costa Rico.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Flew with them to Venice. I would prefer the mainline, and my ticket wasn't that much cheaper than flying through Frankfurt.

1) In-flight entertainment... even though I had the AC app installed, my iPad (2nd gen) still couldn't connect to their network. You can get around this by bringing a PC with flash installed in a browser, but there are no power ports. They loaned me one of their iPads, but it asked me to pay $5 by credit card to connect to the network, and I wasn't too comfortable entering my number on a strange device. Even then, movie selection is not very good. I would bring your own device, or a stash of books.

2) Seat pitch was similar to mainline AC

3) Crew was young and friendly, though seemed a little inexperienced. Not surprising since it's their second month. Uniforms reminded me of EasyJet, and the humour was appreciated.

All in all, I would prefer the mainline AC when flying to Europe because of the inflight entertainment, but if it means not having to connect through the horror-show that is Frankfurt, it's not a bad option.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I guess I am not allowed to comment on a certain posters hatred for Air Canada. What a strange double-standard.

I will repeat what I said about Rouge, because I believe that was good and pertinent.

- the arrival of "Rouge" was announced clearly in both traditional and social media. As were their destinations.

- I personally would choose the actual Air Canada flights rather than Rouge for a number of reasons...space/crowding being one. Status miles being another. I would make it my business to ensure I was not flying Rouge for those reasons.

- When I fly I do not rely on the airplanes entertainment but bring my own. Its much more relaxing.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
817 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Africandaisy, do you mean I can't collect Aeroplan miles on rouge flights? That would be a huge deal for me as our flights to Cuba contribute significantly to our miles each year and it looks like their Cuba vacation routes are going rouge :(

Canada
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I honestly don't know Ronnie. The Aeroplan system is in such a state of flux at the moment.

I do think that you will get miles, but not a goodly amount of status miles, if you know what I mean. But I really haven't researched it much...I might be completely wrong.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
817 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I agree everything at AC and Aeroplan and Altitude is currently what we in Newfoundland would call "up in slings" Right now. Well we fly in November so we shall see. Thanks for the heads-up to keep an eye on it though.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,149 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Some Rouge Aeroplan info here, saying click on the "Flights" tab:

…aeroplan.com/earn_miles/…

Toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Air Canada Rouge

We flew Rouge to Athens in August 2013. It was not a good experience at all. The prices are not that much lower than regular Air Canada flights (if you book early enough), but the passenger experience is terrible. As others have said, the planes are very old with less leg room than regular AC flights. We booked and paid for specific seats, but they changed planes 24 hours before departure and we lost those seats. We did receive a refund for the seat booking, but we were not able to get the seats we wanted. We called Air Canada and they said there was nothing they could do and we spent 10.5 hours crammed in at the back of the plane.

The entertainment system is launched through an App, but the movies and TV shows are so old, you aren't missing anything. The flight attendants are very new and really inexperienced. There was a passenger SMOKING in the bathrooms, and the flight attendants were completely in over their heads on how to deal with this guy. They should have called the authorities and had him banned from travelling again with Air Canada. Service is one thing, passenger safety is something else.

I am a loyal Air Canada customer, but they really blew it with Rouge. It does not compare at all with Porter or West Jet. I have flown many other discount airlines in other countries. Rouge does not stand up against any of them.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I agree with all being said about Rouge!

I am a frequent Air Canada flier to Holguin, Cuba.

It is now only offered with Rouge at no savings what so ever.

I'm hoping Rouge does not last long. It really wasn't very good.