We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada Rouge

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Air Canada Rouge

Has anyone travelled on Air Canada ROUGE? I am a frequent Air Canada flier can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I believe they sell 2 different configurations of the 319... one version is 2x2 and the other is 3x3. The 3x3 is sold as Rouge Plus and the 2x2 is sold as Premium Rouge. However, unlike the 763, where the physical seats are the old domestic business class recliners, on the 319, you're just getting the same economy seat with more legroom. When they're selling Premium Rouge in a 2x2 configuration, I think you're still getting the same aircraft as the 3x3 seating plan. Much like crappy European business class, they just block out the middle seat in each group of three to turn "Rouge Plus" into "Premium Rouge". Either way, it's not going to be anything like AC business class.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Thanks DCH_

That info is very helpful. I was just over on "Flyertalk" and they talk about what you describe.

It was the 3-3 configuration up front that was puzzling ....but as you describe , with the middle seat locked off.....makes more sense.

The seat chart for the AC Rouge Premium shows 2-2 for the A319, which I suspect would be an "A/C" configuration with the "B" blocked off in reality.

We enjoy the Executive product on some of the routes that AC has switched over to Rouge, and can now appreciate what has been done with the "J" seating.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
53. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I booked Rouge plus to Punta Cana this month, mistakenly thinking we were getting the blocked off middle seat, oh well!

Can anyone confirm if there are ANY other benefits other than legroom for Rouge plus? Do we get advanced boarding? $40 extra each, each way.

Cheers!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
620 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Reading; posts from grandame, etc., I had no idea one could be switched to a Rouge plane. Is there a way to fin out? We always fly Business Class to Antigua and LOVE it (most of the time). Sure it's a lot more money, but the comfort, service and food are part of the holiday experience for us. Also, I think that if you pay budget price, you get a budget trip. How much can you expect?

But regarding the professionalism overall, I feel that can trust the regular A/C crew in an emergency. Have never flown Rouge, but if I saw very young people giggling and carrying on, I would totally freak.

Can someone advise where to find out if the plane could be switched? One of the reasons we only fly AC business now is former bad experience with budget airlines (especially being cramped!)

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
146 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I flew Premium Rouge YYZ to LAS in November. The service offered in Premium Rouge is exactly the same as offered in Executive Class on regular AC flights. The crew was young, but they acted very professionally. A friend flies weekly between LAX - YYZ. He's been routed through LAS several times thus ending up on Rouge (economy). He has never had a problem with a Rouge Flight.

Check the AC website to see if your flight is AC or Rouge. If you are worried it may change in the future, call AC Customer Service.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
620 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Thanks. But I thought the Premium Rouge was more of a budget version of Business Class. Are you saying the leg room, eating etc. is just as comfortable?

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Thanks for the info on Premium Rouge.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
146 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Hi Melva,

Yes Meals, legroom, & service were the same. The only difference is you do not have individual seatback TV's.

Best regards

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
620 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Thanks H4412.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I flew from Toronto to the Dominican Republic in December. It was terrible! The seats are so tightly packed, my husbands knees were pressing against the seat in front of him and mine were pretty close as well. Definitely too tight for comfort. He's 5'11 and I'm 5'7, since our heights are pretty average, I'd say that the spacing is too tight for the average adult.

It seems that they're going for a more relaxed and informal feel on the flight, the attendants have a horrible script that they read from that comes off sounding like an elementary school teacher reading to their class.

We contacted our travel agent before returning to Canada and she was able to switch our seats to the first 3 rows, they are regularly spaced, so our flight home was better.

I will not fly Rouge again nor do I recommend it to anyone else (of average size).