We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada Rouge

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Air Canada Rouge

Has anyone travelled on Air Canada ROUGE? I am a frequent Air Canada flier can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Air Canada Rouge

We flew AC Rouge to Huatulco, Mexico on Dec 14th. We were looking forward to the flight, but after experiencing it would never use AC Vacations again. The seats are rediculously cramped. I'm 5'1" and had absolutely no leg room. No in-flight entertainment, unless you had an iPad. Not even music to plug into. We weren't aware of this ahead of time. They had a few iPads to rent, but some weren't working properly. The staff offered drinks once during the flight. So unless you called for service, nothing. We learned that AC is planning to further reduce its number of flight attendants on Rouge flights, which should further decline service. Rouge's food service is available at a cost with the same menu as the non-chartered flights. The only problem is they don't bring enough food for the entire plane...so the last 10 rows had only candy and chips available. This happened both departing & returning. When we departed from Toronto 3 passengers were refused boarding the plane at the gate. It took a while for the staff to understand why the head count was off. After that was settled, the staff then had to remove the luggage of these passengers. While this was happening, the workers were also removing bags of passengers on the plane...so ppl were shouting "That's my bag!" One unfortunate couple arrived in Huatulco without their luggage...a gong show! We'll fly Sunwing for AI vacations in the future...always had good experiences with them.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 06:02
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I wonder if anyone has experienced this. I have not flown Rouge yet but recently I booked a trip to Cancun on an Air Canada flight. About 2 months after booking, I got an itinerary change. My flight was now a Rouge flight. But if it is a discount airline, wouldn't it be fair to expect a discount from the Air Canada ticket price I paid. No news on that front yet! Also the new flight departs to come home at 10 in the morning so we are losing the entire last day of our vacation. The flight is at the end of February so I will be interested to see what that will be like.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Air Canada Rouge

This link on future "Rouge" expansion was just brought to my attention by a fellow TA'er.

cbc.ca/news/business/air-canada-rouge-to-exp…

Not the kind of news Customers you enjoy the current Air Canada product want to hear....

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
829 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Several people have reported being switched to rouge from an already-made AC booking, including us. I have never heard of offers of, or requests for, refunds. Rouge flights cost about the same as Air Canada's previous tix to the same destination anyway, so why it is calling itself a "discount" airline is a mystery. We have decided to book with another holiday agent for our spring vacation. One flight with rouge was enough.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Air Canada Rouge

We recently booked a vacation to Jamaica for a wedding in August 2014. We went to the travel agency that we use. The agent we always use there was off so we spoke to another one. She suggested Air Canada Vacations as they had a super sale on. I asked it is an Air Canada flight and she said yes. So we went for it. I did not know anything about Air Canada Rouge? That is the plane we will be on. I was very disappointed that we were not told about this or we would have flown West Jet. Air Canada vacations had our deposit so we were out of luck on that. So we tried to make the best of it and booked preferred seats?? Cost $80.00 each round trip. They apparently are still standard seats but in row 12 near the front of the aircraft. Call them bulkhead? A curtain between us and first class?? There are four rows up front then it is row 12. Likely a Rip Off!?

It's an A319 100 aircraft.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Air Canada Rouge

If a flight was booked originally on AC metal....then the route changed to "Rouge"........I would pursue a refund from the Airline.

I know that even before Rouge came on the scene....even if I experienced a significant schedule change.....the Airline would offer a refund if the changes didn't work for me. Usually , there is not another option to book....but sometime there is.

Can't be certain what the remedy would be for DiannneS in the case of ACV though.....as it was booked recently once Rouge was launched.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
829 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Air Canada Rouge

A refund of what, though? The cost of the package we booked in September didn't come down when they changed the flight to rouge. People booking after it was designated a rouge flight paid around the same as we did or more. This seems to be observed universally on Caribbean forums - the new rouge flights south are about the same price as the previous AC flights. They're just packing people in tighter. It's a loss for the traveler all around.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Air Canada Rouge

ronniecat,

A refund of what you paid, so you could switch to a desirable Airline of your choosing. I don't know where your travels are taking you, but there are often other options. Now a package may not allow for any leeway... you may well be stuck...

. We have not signed up for a package in a rather long time ( 20+ yrs)....so my experience is not current in that regard....just straight revenue Airfare purchase.

I am not referring to a lower fare.....just a switch to a superior carrier.

Some folks will not fly "Rouge" no matter what.....the reports have been coming in... with a big thumbs down.

For me , I would want to know what my options were if I got saddled with "Rouge" when I had originally booked AC. The comfort levels are just the tip of the iceberg, I suspect.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 22:13
Timmins, Ontario...
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Air Canada Rouge - Fly the fetal position. I'm only 5'11", not a big guy but only had less than 2" between my knee and the seat in front. Seats that barely recline by the way.

The Dash 8-100 (a very small plane) has more leg room and a more inclined seat than the AC Rouge plane I took from Toronto to Dominican Republic this week. If someone grabs the magazine in the back of the seat, they rub up against your butt. Only the seat material in between.

No entertainment or power outlets in seat backs or in aisles. You have to download an app. (sorry BB, Android and others - Apple only) to be able to buy a movie to watch on your own device.Make sure its charged for the 4 1/2 hour flight. make sure you have close up glasses to wear because it will be closer to you than your elbow.

Rouge - the (newly trained?) staff were embarrassed after having to read from the manual the pre-flight instructions.

Rouge - yes the executives of the company should be red in the face for such a service.

Rouge - the staff uniforms should have a red bulbous nose to go with the rest of the attire.

Rouge - after paying for movies, snacks and a second rate meal my credit card is in the red.

Rouge - If I didn't need the 800km connector flight with ACV I would travel Sunwing, Transat or almost any other carrier before booking ACV again.

Rouge - the stewardess on my Dash 8 flight home told us she flew Rouge once to Florida, and wouldn't do it again, she would wait for a seat to open on another flight before going on a cramped up Rouge flight for 4 hours. Even their own staff don't want to fly on it.

The Rouge airline is a joke. If that's the best they can do to cut costs then its time to give it up and allow another carrier to take it over!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
620 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I liked your descriptions #69! As I suspected, Rouge sounds like a nightmare!