We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dutyfree Paris Usa with Icelandair through Reyavik

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Topic
Dutyfree Paris Usa with Icelandair through Reyavik

Hi all!

I can really be a himbo at times buit can anyone clarify the situation with buying duty free alcohol if I am travelling Paris- New york and the Seattle -Paris with a stopover in KEF?

Thanks!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dutyfree Paris Usa with Icelandair through Reyavik

If you're lucky they'll have dutyfree hakarl at KEF!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dutyfree Paris Usa with Icelandair through Reyavik

Ooooooooh, I had hakarl when I was in Iceland and yes, it's just as awful as you would imagine. But it's one of those things you "have" to do, ya know?

Seanbee, if you go to each airport's website, they will tell you (either on the site or through a link) how much duty-free you are allowed.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,557 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dutyfree Paris Usa with Icelandair through Reyavik

The issue here is whether the OP will need to reclear security at KEF, and therefore will the liquids restriction be in force again.

They'll definitely need to reclear security on the return flights (SEA-KEF-CDG), but not having transited KEF I don't know if that's the case on the outbound, coming off a EU-EEA flight. Then there's the question of, if/when security re-clearance is necessary, will the originating airport provide the duty free in secure tamper evident bags (STEBs). I can't recall having seen STEBs being used at any US airport duty free (though I may be wrong).

So the questions are -

1) Do you need to reclear security at KEF if the inbound flight is from the EU (CDG specifically)?

2) Do duty free stores at CDG use STEBs?

3) Do duty free stores at SEA use STEBs?

Regardless of the above, you should be able to buy duty free at KEF for your flight to New York (EWR).

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dutyfree Paris Usa with Icelandair through Reyavik

Thanks USB for clearly translating my rather vague question!

Maybe someone who has done this can help..

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dutyfree Paris Usa with Icelandair through Reyavik

I have flown Icelandair from Boston to various cities in Europe a number of times. Yes, you need to clear security in Keflavik. We bought a bottle of whiskey in the Boston duty free once for a gift as we were flying out and it was confiscated upon changing in Keflavik. Did not do that again, I thought it would be OK since we had bought it at the airport duty free and immediately boarded the plane, but that was not the case.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dutyfree Paris Usa with Icelandair through Reyavik

Thanks Bookat. That us what I sort of understood.

Am I right in thinking I won't the sanme problem from the Paris side?

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dutyfree Paris Usa with Icelandair through Reyavik

Hmm...can't say, sorry! For our return trips, we usually buy our bottles before we get to the airport and pack them in a bag that we check for the flight home.

8. Re: Dutyfree Paris Usa with Icelandair through Reyavik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 06:18