We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custom times for both LAX between connecting flights...

Adelaide, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Custom times for both LAX between connecting flights...

Hello,

Just reading through an itinerary issue to myself for my wife and i to travel from Adelaide to New York and concerned about available times to clear customs between connecting flights.

I have never travelled os before so not sure what is involved between the international stops….

Would love someone with a little experience to comment as the last thing we want is delays resulting on missed flights. I know one would think that the “travel agent” would know best but have a look at the below itinerary and tell me what you think???....

aus -> usa

sundayv-australia flight

flight operated by virgin australia

18 aug 13 - depart - adelaide/adelaide arpt 0900 non-stop

18 aug 13 - arrive - sydney/sydney kingsford 1125 01hrs 55mins

sunday v-australia flight

18 aug 13 - depart - sydney/sydney kingsford 1340 non-stop

18 aug 13 - arrive - los angeles/los angeles 1030 13hrs 50mins

terminal: terminal b

sunday united airlines flight

18 aug 13 - depart - los angeles/los angeles 1300 non-stop

terminal: terminal 7

18 aug 13 - arrive - new york/john f kennedy 2129 05hrs 29mins

terminal: terminal 7

and now for the fun bit….

usa ->aus

friday v-australia

flight operated by delta air lines

23 aug 13 - depart - new york/john f kennedy 1815 non-stop

23 aug 13 - arrive - los angeles/los angeles 2143 06hrs 28mins

friday v-australia flight

flight operated by delta air lines

23 aug 13 - depart - los angeles/los angeles 2240 non-stop

25 aug 13 - arrive - sydney/sydney kingsford 0635 14hrs 55mins

sunday v-australia flight

25 aug 13 - depart - sydney/sydney kingsford 0840 non-stop

25 aug 13 - arrive - adelaide/adelaide arpt 1025 02hrs 15mins

what is the go with coming back with only a one hour turn over to where i am assuming we also have to go through customs???

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Custom times for both LAX between connecting flights...

I really cant see any problems internationally other than your delta flight from JFK arriving late in LAX.

but u will only have a gate transfer in T5. no customs or security.

as for the <2 hour transfer in Sydney on the way home that will be a squeeze but seeing u will be able to do seamless transfer with VA it might just be possible. in any case if u miss the scheduled Adelaide flight VA will put u on the next available one.

also seeing u r transferring from TBIT t& on your incoming flight from aus I would not dilly dally despite having 2.5 hours

Edited: 07 August 2013, 06:20
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Custom times for both LAX between connecting flights...

"also seeing u r transferring from TBIT t& on your incoming flight from aus I would not dilly dally despite having 2.5 hours"

that should read:

also seeing u r transferring from TBIT to T7 on your incoming flight from aus I would not dilly dally despite having 2.5 hours. TBIT immi/customs can be very slow.

very strange u r on a united LAX_JFK flight when VA code share with Delta.

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Custom times for both LAX between connecting flights...

Perhaps one thing to note for your outbound trip is that when you arrive at LAX from Australia, you need to clear customs and collect your baggage and have it scanned even though you are transferring through to New York, even if it's with the same airline. I've never experienced this anywhere else so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,602 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Custom times for both LAX between connecting flights...

" I've never experienced this anywhere else so I thought it was worth mentioning."

___

It's pretty common with any international visitor into the US at your first point of arrival. You collect your luggage and hand it back to your final destination.

Adelaide, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Custom times for both LAX between connecting flights...

Yeah, as mentioned, never traveled over seas before...

I guess I am pretty surprised that this came from a travel agent. I would understand that if some booked this kind of itinerary personally then maybe yeah.

Oh well, I guess missing flights must be part of the OS experience???

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,271 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Custom times for both LAX between connecting flights...

Many countries require you to get your bags and go through customs at your first point of entry to the country. That's because the immigration and customs facilities are at the international airports in the international terminal. In every airport in the US, if you're entering the US, you collect bags and go through customs at the airport of arrival, even if you are connecting to a domestic flight. None of the domestic airports and terminals have customs facilities.

Peru was the same way. You collect bags and go through customs in Lima before walking to the domestic terminal for a domestic flight. I'm sure there are others as well.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Custom times for both LAX between connecting flights...

"Oh well, I guess missing flights must be part of the OS experience???"

it happens but a properly organized itinerary should prevent that if all the flights booked arrive and leave on time.

I would be quite happy with yours except for the VA to United connection in LAX and the Delta to VA in Sydney.

The one hour delta to delta connection in LAX on the way home may seem short but as I said it's just a gate change and am sure, seeing it's a major feeder flight for the Australian leg, they would hold the departing aircraft for anything but a significant delay on the flight from JFK.

thinking more about the incoming flight from aus into LAX, I should have emphasized more (as alluded to by others) that u will have to go thru immigration, pick up your bags then go thru customs. this can be a slow process.

I am assuming that VA will be able to check your bags thru to JFK even tho the LAX-JFK flight is with United and issue your boarding pass..

if that is the case then u just have to drop your bags off at the transfer point just outside customs at terminal B (that's tom bradley international terminal -TBIT) and make your way to terminal 7, go thru security and find your gate.. I would walk rather than wait for the shuttle. turn right after exiting terminal B.

if however, VA cannot check your bags thru and not issue a boarding pass for your united flight, then u will have to take your bags from TBIT to T7 and go thru the check in process with united.

that could make the 2.5 hours u have in LAX VERY VERY tight.

I assume the whole trip is on one ticket so missing the united flight should give u some protection in that they should put u on the next available flight. 'available' means the next one with spare seats. they do not bump pax off aircraft to accommodate those missing flights. this could mean a late arrival in JFK.

VA and delta code share. I find it strange that your ta would include a united flight in your otherwise exclusive VA/delta itinerary.

I would be checking with your ta as to why u r not on a delta flight from LAX to JFK ( u still need to do the immi/customs/ terminal transfer thing .....in this case T5) and that u r indeed "protected" should miss the UA flight in LAX.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Custom times for both LAX between connecting flights...

Are these tickets already purchased?

If not, I'd ask your TA (or you could do it yourself very easily) to look at ADL-SYD-JFK using Qantas.

SYD-JFK requires a stop (but not a stopover) at LAX in both directions, but Qantas uses its own planes between LA and NYC, so there's no terminal change at LAX in either direction. You will go through US immigration and customs at LAX - passport stamped, bags wheeled out of the customs hall to the re-check station, then back you get on the plane and off to JFK.

9. Re: Custom times for both LAX between connecting flights...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 06:19