We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight compensation for airlines in middle east region

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
12,477 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Flight compensation for airlines in middle east region

I had booked 2 Doha – Nairobi return tickets with scheduled departure on 7th Aug 2013. I had checked in on-line for both the legs of the journey i.e. from Doha to Abu Dhabi and from Abu Dhabi to Nairobi. As I reached the check-in counter I was informed that Kenya Airways has cancelled their flight to Nairobi and the staff is instructed not to take passengers from Doha to Abu Dhabi.

I contacted the Abu Dhabi office who told me that Nairobi airport is closed until 15 Aug 2013. When I told him that airport is already opened, he told that Kenya flight is cancelled for the next 3 days. I told him that I am already aware that Etihad was operating a bigger flight on 8 Aug 2013 and they should try to accommodate us in that. He in turn informed that Etihad cannot accommodate us for the next three days as all flights are full and would refund me the money.

All along, Etihad was misleading me and were eager to refund me instead of accommodating us in the next available flight.

Etihad was giving wrong and misleading information. Only flight for Wednesday was cancelled and when they resume operations first preference should be to accommodate passengers of the previous day. Instead, they were always telling that money would be refunded.

As I was going on a very short trip the consequences of cancelling the trip is too enormous.

Appreciate if anyone inform where I should take up this matter.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight compensation for airlines in middle east region

Are you aware that there was a large fire at Nairobi airport yesterday? This is no doubt the reason for the cancellation.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 11:07
2. Re: Flight compensation for airlines in middle east region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 14:05
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,724 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight compensation for airlines in middle east region

"Only flight for Wednesday was cancelled and when they resume operations first preference should be to accommodate passengers of the previous day. Instead, they were always telling that money would be refunded. "

When flights are cancelled the airline will try to rebook you but I don't agree that passengers on other flights should be bumped to seat delayed passengers - how would you have felt in that scenario.

With a major fire it was fairly clear that airlines wouldn't initially know how long any disruption would have lasted, hours, days or even weeks and I doubt they were misleading you.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,894 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight compensation for airlines in middle east region

<<If you don't have the time to read and respond, please don't respond.>>

With an attitude like that I'd be surprised if anyone wanted to respond!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight compensation for airlines in middle east region

On BBC news this morning it said they were opening the airport slowly but NOT for international flights

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight compensation for airlines in middle east region

Not surprising really as apparently the worst damaged area is International Arrivals.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight compensation for airlines in middle east region

"I very well know the reason for the cancellation of the flight. My concern is something else. If you don't have the time to read and respond, please don't respond.'

Well I did take the time to read your post, actually I read it twice. You did not mention the fire, so how was I to know that you knew.

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight compensation for airlines in middle east region

<< when they resume operations first preference should be to accommodate passengers of the previous day. >>

Well I'm sure that you would llke this to be the case - but unfortunately that isn't what happens when flights (with any airline) are disrupted.

You are being offered the choice everyone else normally gets in circumstances like this - you can either rebook onto the next flight with AVAILABLE seats; if that doesn't fit with your travel plans you can ask them to re-route you with another carrier (but this will only happen if EIthad decide to do this and have agreements in place to allow this to happen) but given this disruption affects all carriers into Nairobi not just Etihad I would guess that spare seats on other carriers are few and far between, or you cancel and get your money back. Trying to get someone else's journey disrupted and delayed so you can do what you would like to do really isn't fair is it ?

uk
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight compensation for airlines in middle east region

I would imagine your travel insurance would cover you for any out of pocket expenses incurred as a result of your flight cancellation.

As Ethiad Will refund you, if you really need to get thère I would suggest trying to rebook yourself with another Airline, maybe a different routing but to e honest I doubt anybody is selling tickets to Nairobi until the situation is clearer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight compensation for airlines in middle east region

>>when they resume operations first preference should be to accommodate passengers of the previous day. Instead, they were always telling that money would be refunded<<

Very much doubt the pax booked on those flights would agree with you. Why should they get bumped and make the whole thing go on and on, affecting more and more people?

No one lied to or misled you. There was a fire, the airport closed, you need to find a flight with an available seat, not expect someone else to be bumped off the flight to accommodate you.