We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British budget airlines - advice on avoiding extra charges

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
421 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
British budget airlines - advice on avoiding extra charges

I thought I'd share this advice published on MyFamilyClub, in an artice called Sneaky Flight Scams Revealed.

http://goo.gl/s1ysfN

Much of it is just common sense, and pretty obvious, but I think it bears repeating, to make sure you're on the alert.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British budget airlines - advice on avoiding extra charges

I'd say it doesn't bear repeating, because the sort of people who need to read "don't forget to print your boarding pass if you are flying with Ryanair" and " don't pack more luggage than the allowance" can only find websites like this and the one you mentioned, after they didn't do those things, not before.

And, frankly, someone who is astounded to find that it costs much more to buy food on board the airplane than in a Boots Meal Deal, probably can't make their own way unaided to the airport anyway.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,895 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British budget airlines - advice on avoiding extra charges

Hardly "scams" since the airlines are upfront about their fees and charges. If the person booking can't read for comprehension they shouldn't be doing their own bookings IMO. "Pitfalls for the unwary" would be a better description.

And here's a "Top Tip", most airports have free luggage scales centrally located, you don't have to sneak your bags onto a closed check in counter scales. And of course there are those of us who own our own hand held luggage scales so we don't get any surprises at the airport...

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British budget airlines - advice on avoiding extra charges

And once again they're just plain wrong about Easyjet's hand baggage size rules. Why is it so hard to understand : 56x45x25cm is allowed but MAY have to go in the hold without charge if you're one of the later people to board and the overhead lockers are already full, 50x40x20cm will fit under the seat so will always go in the cabin.

How can it be a scam if they don't charge you?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British budget airlines - advice on avoiding extra charges

Agree with the others, though thanks Jack for posting.

Though generally the advice is fairly good, none of the things raised are scams or rip-offs.

There are parts of the booking process that try the hard sell (especially the "buy travel insurance here and now") and make it awkward to decline it - it tool me a while and I was only trying a dummy booking. But the article relegated that to the bottom.

PS - Not just re British budget airlines either. Some of my American compatriots could do with a guide to booking' 'n flying with the Spirit in the sky. :-)

Edited: 09 August 2013, 06:53
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British budget airlines - advice on avoiding extra charges

Bit of an incendiary article, they are not sneaky scams or rip offs. They are simply the charges for those services, over and above the base ticket, and are well publicised on any given airlines site, just people don't bother to look.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British budget airlines - advice on avoiding extra charges

Hi

I agree with the others Most of the points made are fully visible during the booking process and are not scams and a couple of the tips are plain wrong.

Typos with the LCC's are usually sorted for free and Easyjet's hand luggage policies are not as stated. Not sure about the Jet2's middle name excess charge either.

Jackie

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British budget airlines - advice on avoiding extra charges

I think it's a good article outlining things you should check for / be aware of when booking cheap flights....but nothing mentioned is a 'scam' or 'sneaky'.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 07:28
Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British budget airlines - advice on avoiding extra charges

BA's taxes & charges for business class fares,departing London Heathrow were a bit excessive from memory.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 08:30
London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British budget airlines - advice on avoiding extra charges

Taxes don't have anything to do with BA

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British budget airlines - advice on avoiding extra charges

Bluetek, what on earth has your post got to do with the subject under discussion?