We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Risk when transferring flights? Advice sought

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
149 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Risk when transferring flights? Advice sought

Hi, i'm planning a side-trip from Singapore to KL for a few days, but will be flying back to Sydney with BA.

Is it too risky to fly back to SIN from KUL with Air Asia on the same day i'll be catching a flight (20:15) from Sin>SYD with BA? I would leave say 4 hours between arrival at SIN and next departure - would that be ok or rather risky were i to encounter a delay from KUL?

Or would I be better staying an extra night in Singapore just in case, or if I Appreciate everyone's advice.

Gary

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Risk when transferring flights? Advice sought

If it was me I would stay the extra night in SIN.The cost of buying a new SIN-SYD ticket at last minute may be rather high.

Depends on how risk averse you are.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Risk when transferring flights? Advice sought

"It depends"

It depends on the consequences and what they mean for you.

You'd have to buy a new ticket back to Sydney. I don't know how much that would cost. I presume that would be the end of this particular journey so no other flights to pay for!

Also, would you be missing a day at work? Or a day at home? Or a wedding?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,853 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Risk when transferring flights? Advice sought

As you're flying on separate tickets, if you inbound flight (Air Asia) is delayed such that you miss the onward flight (BA), you would be deemed a no show, your BA ticket would be liable to be canceled, and you'd have to buy a new ticket from BA at the walk up fare (which will make your eyes water).

So, you'd be advised to spend an extra night in Singapore. That's called contingency (if something goes badly wrong with my flight to KUL, how do I get there in time for my onward BA flight). IF there are earlier Air Asia flights that day you could consider booking one of those, but in that case for contingency I'd book two flights earlier than the one you're considering.

Also look at a good travel insurance policy that covers you for "missed onward travel". Though note that those pay out only if the inbound is delayed by at least three hours, and you've allowed enough time to transit. So even with that insurance I'd leave 6 hours between flights.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Risk when transferring flights? Advice sought

Four hours is too short. You need to have enough time to arrange a later flight if yours is cancelled.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Risk when transferring flights? Advice sought

Making these types of travel arrangements always makes me nervous. I almost always schedule a full 24 hours in case my arriving plane is late, or, even worse, cancelled. We did have a flight that was cancelled a few years ago. We were only flying 500 miles to connect with our international flight, and I had allowed six hours. We did not make our international flight, which was on a separate ticket with a different airline. We were just very fortunate that the customer service rep was so kind as to get us on a plane the following day at no increase in cost, but she had not obligation to do that. The price difference between what I paid for those tickets and what they were selling for on the day we actually took the plane was almost $1000, which easily pays for a night in a hotel.

I have to admit that even with that experience, I still occasionally will take an early morning flight to connect with an early evening flight. I did that four times a few months ago with no problem. Four hour should really be enough time if nothing goes wrong with your arriving flight. If something does go wrong you do not know how much time you should allow.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
149 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Risk when transferring flights? Advice sought

Thanks heaps for everyone's fast responses and advice :-) Much appreciated.

I will indeed plan to stay an extra night in Singapore after all then.

Cheers,

Gary

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Risk when transferring flights? Advice sought

Gary normally I would agree with others but SIN-KL is a short hop and I think there are a lot of flights, like every hour. Yes, low cost carriers tend to have lots of delays but 4 hours is a reaonable block of time and with a flight of 50 minutes your delay is likely to be around that. You could try for an earlier AA flight to give you say 6 hours in between, I think that would be fine. At Changi since youre flying a full-service airline you should be able to use the transit desk so you do not need to clear immigration or reclaim your luggage, they will re-route it for you onto your BA flight. So you only need max an hour at Changi to board your next flight.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Risk when transferring flights? Advice sought

sorry to disagree - but the information from changi is that you cannot remain in transit from lo-cost to full-service airlines. you will need to collect your luggage, pass immigration and customs, and re-check your bags to your next flight.

http://www.changiairport.com/in-transit/faq

[see answer #1]

personally - i would leave an extra day, or fly silk air or MAS between kul/sin. also - take account of the checked luggage limits/charges and handbaggage sizes for air asia, and bear in mind, there are NO duty-free allowances of alcohol or tobacco between malaysia and singapore, and none for tobacco into singapore from any country. so you can't buy your bottle of hooch at kl's brilliant prices, transfer it to your checked bag at sin, and take it home.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Risk when transferring flights? Advice sought

I agree with Bornvivant. I would be quite happy flying to SIN that same day, though I'd probably arrange a greater connection window.

From KUL it is almost like a bus service to SIN. If your AA flight was heavily delayed or cancelled, it would be easy to arrange a ticket on another airline. It would be frustrating but shouldn't break the bank. It's a risk you can easily plan for and would not be as challenging as being stuck out far away in some remote airfield with only a couple of daily flights.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
574 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Risk when transferring flights? Advice sought

Fly out earlier in the day, so in case it gets cancelled, you can still make the next flight or hop on the bus for a 5-hour trip on the road to Singapore.