We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic

Norwich, England...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic

Flying with virgin to Cancun next year...is economy ok? Went with Thomas cook last year and was horrible!

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
11,624 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic

Much of a muchness when compared with other Scheduled Airlines..

No where near the service they used to provide:-(:-(

Lots of cost cutting I think, I would only use them now if they were the best price, (which they haven't been for a number of years)

It's a means to an end though, so I wouldn't worry to much :-)

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic

Virgin will be pretty much the same as Thomas Cook, but with free drinks. I always find Virgin overpriced, they promise too much then under-deliver.

St Albans
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic

Haven't done Thomas Cook but did go in the premium cabin with Thomson to Cancun 3 years ago. I think Virgin economy would be about the same as this. We used to fly Virgin PE which was nice but standards have slipped.

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic

Flying that distance, for that length of time, is going to be pretty grim in any economy cabin.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic

I agree with SpineyNorman, any flight of that length is grim in economy no matter which airline you fly with. VA is ok but not great by any means. I can't compare it with Thomas Cook as I have not flown with them.

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
544 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic

We've done Virgin long-haul flights to theCaribbean both before and after the recent refit travelling in economy.

You will find you have around 33 inch seat pitch - which is ok as long as you don't have an IFE box under the seat in front of you. (My OH is 6ft and manages to get comfortable and stretch his legs under the seat in front without too much bother.) We think the new seats are quite comfortable - compared with the old ones. The food is ok - not good, not bad. There is a good range of IFE.

We would love to be able to upgrade to PE - and look enviously at those turning left at the door - but travelling economy means we can actually visit some of these lovely places that would otherwise be out of reach.

Just think of the amazing holiday you're going to have once you arrive!

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,076 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic

The extra legroom seats (about £30 each way extra pp) are a good compromise if you can't upgrade to PE - especially on the overnight flight back to the UK. Otherwise it's always worth trying for a bulkhead or exit row seat, but this can be a bit hit and miss.

8. Re: Virgin Atlantic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 05:18