We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection times - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Connection times - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

Hi,

We have exactly 2 hours from landing in Bangkok to catch our Thai Airways flight to Phnom Penh. We are flying business on both legs, so hopefully the priority luggage works!

Do we have enough time or is it too tight?

Thanks

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,153 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection times - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

Should be fine, connection is easy and I have caught a TG connection in just over an hour for Yangon and Vientiane flights,including our luggage!

And the beauty of flying TG into their home base is that if your incoming is delayed and you miss your connection they will look after you and rearrange your flight.

SS

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,482 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection times - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

As long as your flights are on the same ticket (which it appears they are) you'll have no problems making your connection. And as pointed out above, if you don't make it due to a badly delayed incoming flight, Thai will look after you.

At the absolute worst you'll have an evening and night in Bangkok, which is rather better than a poke in the eye. :-)

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection times - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

Thanks both of you but they are not on one ticket, I booked them separately. Does that put a different slant on the situation now?

....and different airlines!

Edited: 10 August 2013, 12:58
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection times - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

Hi,

Technically it does..

With a two ticket booking... That is ticket #1 one 123 airlines from A to B to A, and a wholly seperate ticket #2 on 456 airlines from B to C to B ... IF something goes wrong and you arrive late into city B (in either direction) neither carrier is *required not obljgated* to assist you beyond what your specific ticket says..

Example: if your A to B to A ticket has a no-show penalty or change of date fee, then 123 airlines would be entitled to charge you those fees- even though you were late because if an earlier flight. .. And 456 airlines would not be responsible for nor liable for anything related to charges or problems with your onward flights with 123 airlines.

Baggage too. Each carrier is only required and obljgated to check and transport it as far as it shows on that specific ticket.

Now, all that said, so e carriers will not enforce all these rules and rules can vary from carrier to carrier- but the baseline situation is that when you travel on two or more seperate tickets - YOU bear ALL risks for missed flights and other issues - each airlines is only required to get you and your bags to tg last point shown on that specific ticket, regardless of any subsequent and seleratly purchased tickets you may have.

Again, some carriers are more flexible in this matter than others, and thre can be some exceptions, but generally when traveling on two tickets this shifts the connection "risk" and costs from the airlines to you.

Travel Safe,

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,602 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection times - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

As it is two different airlines, two hours can be very tight as you have to go through immigration. Depending at which gate you arrive it can be a bit of a longer walk to immigration. It took me 15 min or 20 min to get to immigration last year, and then at least 30 min to go through immigration (it always depends how many flights arrive). Getting your bag, checking in again and going through security takes all time, so if your first flight is just slight delayed you could easily miss your flight.

Could you check with Thai Air if you could get on a later flight that day? As you are business class you should be able to do so. It would take away the potential stress and hassle on the day.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,482 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection times - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

balimoon,

Separate tickets. Oh dear. You're not going to like this, but you're very foolish to book that schedule. And as is all too common on here, you booked the flights and then ask if it's okay. Wrong way around buddy.

You have very little margin for any delay at all. And if you fail to make check in, bag drop or boarding for the onward TG flight, you face being classed as a no show and having your oneard ticket canceled, and having to buy a new one.

That said, if your business class ticket with TG is fully flexible, you may be able to just get rebooked onto the next flight with available seats. You should also ask the inbound airline whether they provide fast track passes for immigration at BKK as that will save you 30 minutes. Also see if TG gives fast track for the exit procedures as you'll need to clear immigration again for leaving Thailand.

You should also do OLCI for your TG flight at home before you leave. And ask the first airline very politely if they'll through check your bags. Being a business class passenger on both legs helps. It also helps if the first airline is a partner of Thai (e.g. if you're flying from Heathrow on EVA they are also now in Star Alliance).

Hope you make it, and good luck (you will need it).

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection times - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

Thanks guys, I think I was after reassurances that we could make it but appreciate your candid responses.

Good idea about getting fast track tickets and see if they will check our bags through but they are not on code share......

Well, it's done now, we will have to make a run for it. There are no later flights with TG but hey it's not life threatening and will mean we may have to spend a night in BKK and fly the next day. If that costs me more money then expensive lesson learnt!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection times - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

Hi,

Carriers have the ability to "tag" bags onto flights with many more airlines than they code-share with.. Codesharing is a much more close, financially and operationally linked relationship, but it isn't a requirement for the ability to tag bags - that is predicated on something called an "interline" agreement.

Thai, being a major world carrier has these interline agreements in place with many airlines - far more airlines than they have the closer close-share relationship with.

Travel Safe,

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connection times - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

Hi GOPBI,

Thank you that has made me feel better. I shall contact the airline and hope they are sympathetic :-)

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connection times - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

I may be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that if you're just transiting through to fly on to another country that you won't have to go through immigration.

Even though you have separate tickets, you may be able to get your luggage to go through to your final destination. We're travelling to Bangkok with Malaysia Airlines then on to Chiang Mai with Bangkok Airlines and we can check our baggage right through.