We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways premium economy class

London
Level Contributor
138 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways premium economy class

I've travelled BA premium economy (they called it World Travellers Plus) as I booked it almost the last minute and the price of standard economy was almost as expensive as PE class, so I might as well booked that. I have to say the seats were more comfortable and spacious, but everything else really was more or less the same as standard economy. For example, they handed out a dinner menu with starter, main courses and dessert, but everything was just served in the same tray with a tiny box of starter and dessert each. Service wasn't really much different from what I got in standard ecomony either.

Just wonder what your experience is and would you pay extra to travel BA premium economy?

329 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
101. Re: British Airways premium economy class

Sorry but I meant to add that I have flown to the US a few times in PE. To be fair, the flight to Chicago was three years ago and although there was a little more room, the cabin felt old and a little unloved. Crew were attentive though and there was champagne served on boarding but other than that it was really a question of more space. I have flown with Virgin in PE too to SF and also NYC. It was definitely a slicker service and certainly more fun with comfy seats but there's something about the reserved, less jokey approach of BA that I have grown to prefer.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,678 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
102. Re: British Airways premium economy class

BA was still operating some unrefurbished WT+ cabins so finding a dated set-up on a flight would not have been surprising.

Still, WT+ is nothing like business class. The more room and less folks in the cabin features are the main selling points. At the right price, it's a good product.

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
6 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
103. Re: British Airways premium economy class

I have used BA premium economy a number of times but no more. You are correct in saying you get a bigger seat and more legroom but there it ends (well you get a little more baggage allowance I suppose). No booking seats until 24 hours before the flight. No priority boarding - in fact you end up being last to board since they board by seat number from the back. No drink before takeoff. Economy food, drinks and service. Last time I flew I didn't want to pay £33 per seat to pre-book and ended up with my wife and I having to sit apart on a 9 hour flight. I grudgingly paid the £66 for the return flight. Oh - and you can't even pay to use the BA Business Class lounge - I had to go to Air France to do that. So next time I am going to try out Virgin - it can't be any worse!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
104. Re: British Airways premium economy class

I'm flying with BA PE this Thursday evening from San Diego to Heathrow with my daughter and we did prepay for the seats. Wish us luck!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,678 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
105. Re: British Airways premium economy class

BA PE isn't a poor product. As long as you expectations are realistic (you are flying PE, not business class), then you should have a decent flight.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
106. Re: British Airways premium economy class

"Economy food"

No it isn't. You get a main meal from CW.

"You can't pay to use the business class lounge"

Yes you can. You buy a CW or F ticket. The issue is that you don't like the price.

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
6 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
107. Re: British Airways premium economy class

What is CW? As far as I could see it was an economy class meal. I got plastic cutlery and a choice of 2 meals as long as they were still available.

I paid for a full price PE ticket, ie £948 per person return from Heathrow to Chicago. I can't tell you whether it is a CW or F ticket. Having looked at the e-ticket I can't find any reference to a ticket type.

I compare the BA PE service to that of Qantas which I use to travel to Australia and there is no comparison. With Qantas I am treated as a business class customer with the exception of the seat. With BA I am treated as an economy passenger with that exception. I can't say what Virgin will be like but it can't be any worse than BA. And yes, for the price of BA's PE I am disappointed that I don't get more. If you are happy with it please continue to use it.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
108. Re: British Airways premium economy class

@pacuthbertson

I think the comparison is a little unfair. On BA to Chicago in Jan you would pay 60% more to fly premium economy. Flying to Australia on Qantas the difference is more than double the price of economy. And to Oz, BA's fare is lot less than Qantas. £948 sounds like the lowest PE fare on the Chicago route.

I do agree Qantas is more of a business class minus that economy plus, but you do pay for it. But they are different airlines operating in mostly different markets. And BA makes a profit whereas Qantas struggles.

Did you get the new BA product with the white hard-shell back seats ? Or the old one ? I agree the old product is well past its sell-by date but I do miss the leg rest on the new product.

CW is shorthand for BA's business cabin ... Club World.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 12:33
London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
109. Re: British Airways premium economy class

Agree the new refurbished planes make a huge difference.

I always fly PE, and have got the CW meal for the last year or so of flying. CW meals are the main only, but come on a china plate rather than the plastic you get in Economy.

At the end of the day PE really is just a wider seat, more legroom, a smaller cabin and slightly nicer food. And for the extra price that's about fair. If it was CW minus service I'd expect to pay a lot more - and I personally wouldn't.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 12:39
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
110. Re: British Airways premium economy class

How do you know if your flight will be one of the new refurbished? Have flown wt+ several times and love it even in the older planes. Flights booked for next year and flying home wt+ from Philly to Heathrow. It's a777 just not sure which type

Reply to: British Airways premium economy class
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted