We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways premium economy class

London
Level Contributor
133 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways premium economy class

I've travelled BA premium economy (they called it World Travellers Plus) as I booked it almost the last minute and the price of standard economy was almost as expensive as PE class, so I might as well booked that. I have to say the seats were more comfortable and spacious, but everything else really was more or less the same as standard economy. For example, they handed out a dinner menu with starter, main courses and dessert, but everything was just served in the same tray with a tiny box of starter and dessert each. Service wasn't really much different from what I got in standard ecomony either.

Just wonder what your experience is and would you pay extra to travel BA premium economy?

298 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
91. Re: British Airways premium economy class

Just to touch on the comment about overhead bins (in economy specifically) that are filled up. Yes. That can happen. Once I booked an aisle seat of one of the few two-seaters in the back of the plane. By the time I boarded-which wasn't late at all-to my shock the other passengers, who were already seated, took up all the space in the overhead cabin above my seat. This necessitated me to look for space in other overhead cabins, however, as this was in the rear of the plane there was no space available. Fortunately what I had to stow away was able to fit under the seat in front of mine. Apparently the overhead compartments were so full because some passengers did not want to put any of their belongings in the seats in front of them choosing to pack everything in the overhead compartments.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
92. Re: British Airways premium economy class

BA42 and BA43 (from and to CPT and LHR) are, like BA58 and BA59 being operated with 747s. However, BA42 and BA43 are scheduled to use the older 747s without NF (new First) and as such the F cabin will be sold as Club World if there is enough demand for it.

This could - stress that word - mean that if the flights are busy in all cabins that there will be a chance that a WT+ pax could be moved to Club World - but there are never guarantees of this. The WT+ cabin in the 747s is fine, especially if you book a bulkhead seat in the small WT+ cabin. Given the option of a bulkhead seat in WT and WT+ I would choose the latter, but others will share parklandwalk's view.

The leg rests on the 747 seats aren't exceptionally useful (some people add a small carryon bag to help prop up their legs or feet) but that's never been a deal-breaker for me, and I've been flying in WT+ since its inception. The additional Avios and tier points are another reason I book in that cabin, but again others may not find that as key as I do.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,382 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
93. Re: British Airways premium economy class

I like WT+ enough as it's an obvious step-up from economy (bulkhead seat or not). However, how much is that worth to an individual in terms of money is only something the traveler can decide.

Belfast, United...
1 post
Save Reply
94. Re: British Airways premium economy class

I am traveling Gatwick to Orlando international in November in a group of 7 in WT+ (2×6 yr olds and a 17 yr old and 4 adults) what sorta planes do they use for this flight and does any body know of the standard of flight attendants on this flight ? Also what are the chances of us being upgraded , cheeky I know hehe

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
95. Re: British Airways premium economy class

The chance of seven people being moved forward is minuscule. One person, perhaps, but seven, no.

BA operate 777s on the LGW to MCO route, and if you are lucky they will be planes with the refurbished WT+ cabin - new style seats, a more effective leg and footrest, slightly larger IFE screens (so I'm told) and a somewhat enhanced experience all around.

'does any body know of the standard of flight attendants on this flight?' In my experience nearly all BA crew have been professional and knowledgeable. Gatwick to Orlando is usually busy with families and holiday-makers, so ideally crew will be patient with children and adults who are keen to get started in the holiday spirit.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,382 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
96. Re: British Airways premium economy class

Crew service vary although BA is usually ok to slightly above average.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
Save Reply
97. Re: British Airways premium economy class

<<< Also what are the chances of us being upgraded >>

I would say very slim, how many of your party have status with BA?

I flew long haul last week booked in WT+ and received an upgrade to Club World at checkin as the flight was overbooked in economy and they were moving people forwards. I was traveling alone and am BA Gold

If you look at your MMB you may find an upgrade offer or they may also offer them at the airport. For my flight last week I was offered WT+ to CW for £380 (which I declined but ended up being upgraded anyway)

If they do need to upgrade then they will look first to sell the upgrades and if still required, to identify passengers from WT+ but it is unlikely to be whole families with children

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
98. Re: British Airways premium economy class

and if you are lucky they will be planes with the refurbished WT+ cabin

You would have to be very lucky and hope for an eqipment change. All of the LGW based 777s still have the older "2000" WT+ cabin, and I believe it is the four class version that is due to be refurbed first (LGW-MCO is usually a 3 class route)

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
99. Re: British Airways premium economy class

Yes I do agree that its difficult to get an upgrade with BA. Moreover quality of service does vary on different routes/cabin. My wife and three month old daughter have traveled to Mumbai in Club World and i am glad, that though i paid extra but the service was excellent and they did look after my daughter and wife. Though i do agree that the cabin crew in premium economy is no more the same as its use to be with BA. Virgin is still a better choice in terms with customer service in Premium Economy.

Will get a better understanding by end of August as we are travelling to New York with BA in premium economy and in Club World for our return journey.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
100. Re: British Airways premium economy class

I flew with BA in Club to NYC last week and 4 Club Europe flights in the last couple of months and all crew were fantastic. Economy Flights have also been excellent.

Reply to: British Airways premium economy class
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted