We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Note on Air Asia Website

Wellington
Level Contributor
539 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Note on Air Asia Website

I want to book a flight from Sydney to KL in October 2013, then onto Yangon. The following message comes up on screen with the flight options:

Note: Flight D7 220 & D7 221 to/from Sydney after Sep 2013, are subject to regulatory approval

I have just asked AA about this and they have said that they will advise 30 days in advance of the flight if regulatory approval has not been granted, and "if regulatory approval was not granted on that particular flight, and the flight is cancelled from AirAsia, guest will eligible for refund". Not that that helps a lot!

Does anyone know what the situation is with regulatory approval for these Air Asia flights out of Sydney?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Note on Air Asia Website

As I understand it, it means that they have applied to fly that route but have not yet received that approval. They obviously need to market it so they have passengers.

Wellington
Level Contributor
539 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Note on Air Asia Website

Yes, I agree although I assume there must be a deadline date for an approval decision that is more that 30 days out from the flight. I've also since seen a post elsewhere that AA told another person who queried this that the note was no longer relevant and should have been removed from the page. Confusion reigns as always!

Sydney
Level Contributor
371 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Note on Air Asia Website

i just asked about the same thing, cant get a straight answer off the chat guy!

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Note on Air Asia Website

Air Asia flies 50+ flights/week into and out of Australia and has done for a number of years. Regulatory approval for ongoing services and/or new services would only be a matter of course and I would not be concerned in any way about this.

The 'message' is a way of covering their back in case of non-approval, but as Australia is not some third world corrupt country (although that can be debateable at times) then any hint of non-approval would have been whiffed by the press well before now.

In summary, do not let that warning curtail any travel plans you wish to make.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Note on Air Asia Website

KUL SYD KUL was once a day - they are starting a twice a day service, this being the 9am or so flight from KUL and the 2130 flight from SYD.

they are selling the seats - they have the slots - but they do not have the final approval from the DOT (department of transport) yet.

I cannot see an issue with these flights not going ahead, BUT they do need to state on there website that they are not yet approved

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Note on Air Asia Website

The KL routes from many places in Oz are very popular, just look at the Malaysia forum to see how many visitors there are from Australia.

However if your only looking at October perhaps look at Malaysia Airlines (and maybe dont want to take the chance of it not happening) and look to compare prices as they can sometimes be the same or cheaper than Air Asia. And then just get a bus/taxi over to the LCCT for the next Air Asia flight (of course making sure there is enough time)

7. Re: Note on Air Asia Website

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 06:39