We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Applause When Flight Lands

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Applause When Flight Lands

When I first flew as a kid (early 80s?) I seem to remember that people would routinely applaud once the flight landed. Is this an accurate memory or am I getting mixed up? Does anyone else remember people doing this?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Applause When Flight Lands

True. Happened on an otherwise uneventful EZY flight Manchester-Venice Marco Polo in June. Mind you there was on board a large teenage dance troupe (T-Shirts all around) and they were hyper from the Gate pre-boarding area until disembarking. And it was a Thursday! Painful.

Thankfully they weren't on the return flight a week later.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,804 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Applause When Flight Lands

Years ago people applauded when they landed in Israel. Today it doesn't happen. ( well, you'll always have one or two who start and then sheepishly stop when they realize they are the only ones applauding)

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Applause When Flight Lands

It used to be common on Alitalia flights for some reason.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Applause When Flight Lands

I once asked a fellow traveller why they applauded and they said it was due to a really smooth landing.

I thought by that token, next time you have a particularly bumpy landing you should boo the pilot. If he can lap up the applause he should be able to take a bit of criticism on the chin too.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,020 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Applause When Flight Lands

I thought by that token, next time you have a particularly bumpy landing you should boo the pilot. If he can lap up the applause he should be able to take a bit of criticism on the chin too.

LOL

I find the clapping thing so cringeworthy. Have only had it once in recent years when landing in the UK after a short flight on BA with some quite strong winds that tossed the plane around a little bit. I almost died of shame when my travelling companion joined in the applause. Died I tell you.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Applause When Flight Lands

I miss it. Wish people did it more.

It was more excitment that i arrived at my destination.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Applause When Flight Lands

I seem to recall it started in the nineties,don't remember it before that. I always wondered what they were applauding for, and yes made me cringe a bit too. Last time I heard it was after a very heavy bumpy landing,made me think it was was ironic;-)

Edited: 12 August 2013, 22:01
romford
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Applause When Flight Lands

Never flown Ryan Air before, but having watched Dispatches on Channel 4 at 8pm tonight think I would have been cheering too upon landing lol!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Applause When Flight Lands

I remember it well from when I was young. Unfortunately I told my crazy husband about it so he does it for a (mortifying) laugh now. He has started my daughter now too, I'll need to start travelling alone shortly if it continues!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Applause When Flight Lands

Ryanair flights give a cheer over PA when they land on time...no joke!