We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transferring at Frankfurt Airport

Boston...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Transferring at Frankfurt Airport

Hello,

If I was arriving on a Lufthansa flight at Frankfurt Airport, at 5:45 AM, transferring to a Lufthansa flight to a destination inside Germany, would 3 hours and 15 minutes be a realistic connection time? I know Frankfurt Airport, like many major hubs in Europe, can require more time to connect because of security and everything else associated with the transfer process--just wanted to see if this would be a realistic connection time.

Any help is appreciated--thank you in advance for your assistance.

FlyingIsCool22

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transferring at Frankfurt Airport

3h15m is plenty of time for transferring at FRA.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transferring at Frankfurt Airport

Should be more than enough time if everything goes smoohly. As per your post in May, 2 hours is minimum at Frankfurt. The advice then was that Munich would be a better bet.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k65339…

Edited: 14 August 2013, 14:10
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transferring at Frankfurt Airport

Transfer Guide published by the airport, is here:

frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airp…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,019 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transferring at Frankfurt Airport

It's plenty of time to make a transfer. As long as your flight is on time. Like anyone making a connection, you should weigh the consequences of missing it. If you're going to a destination that has flights by the hour and you don't have a critical meeting or reservation you have to be there at a precise time, then 3:15 is more than enough. If it's all on one ticket and you miss the connection, Lufthansa will put you on the next available flight.

If you've got some super-critical connection or reservation at your final destination that would be a disaster to miss, and there's only one flight a day, then you'd want more time just in case your flight is late arriving in Frankfurt.

I'm making a connection through another international airport in a few months that should really only take 1 hour. But the only available flight that day leaves me just 90 minutes and if I miss it, it'll be a total mess of my plans, so we're flying the night before. But I've done other connections through big international hubs with 1-2 hours when I had no firm plans and would not have been inconvenienced too badly if I was delayed.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,594 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transferring at Frankfurt Airport

While FRA is clearly the worse hub in Europe, it is not that bad. 3+ hours is enough. Do wear though comfortable shoes as you will very probably walk for more than 30 minutes and queue for a long time (for immigration and security).

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
75 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transferring at Frankfurt Airport

3 hours????!! one is more than enough, or one and 1/2 in winter.I use frequently Frankfurt and never ever had problems.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,652 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transferring at Frankfurt Airport

I'd even say that that is too much time... unless you are changing between two different tickets.

8. Re: Transferring at Frankfurt Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 05:18