We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
720 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

Understand you can take 1000ml of liquid per passenger in your plastic bag through security provided it is in containers no larger than 100ml. You can buy empty 100ml travel containers so was thinking of decanting some cheap supermarket plonk into them and thus avoid the inflated prices for similar plonk on the plane.

I know the airlines frown on you drinking your own booze but the cabin staff would have to be pretty sharp and on the ball to find you doing it.

Anyone tried it? Any problems at security?

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

There may be an issue with transferring alcohol from one country to the next, but I am no expert. I'd say give it a go if you're up for it, but it could be confiscated from you on boarding the plane.

I was going to compare this to taking illegal drugs abroad, but actually alcoholic drinks are no different than soft drinks, from what I can think of, so maybe there isn't any issues with it.

Let me know if you do, do it! Would love to know for future references!

I also didn't know you could take 1ltr of liquid with you as long as they are in 100ml containers, is that per person???

London
Level Contributor
8,653 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

Friends of mine tend to take couple miniatures each. No problem at security and just make sure you are discreet on the plane.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

Some airlines don't permit alcohol to be consumed unless it has been served by a flight attendant.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,582 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

You can only take as many 100ml bottles as will fit in the plastic bag and I doubt you will get 10 in! There is no way I would do this but I guess it's up to you. If you are flying with VA or BA you don't have to pay for drinks.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

You actually cannot take 1 litre through because you cannot fit 10 x 100ml bottles in a regulation sized bag.

I also suspect, that if you had a larger bag and stuffed 10 bottles in it you would (hopefully?) raise some security concerns which would then involve an age of tedium whilst they examined each bottle, and then inspected all your hand luggage, wondering if you were trying to circumvent the 1litre rule in order to bring sufficient quantities of explosives on board.

London
Level Contributor
8,653 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

The regulations state

'containers should be in a single, transparent, resealable plastic bag, which holds no more than a litre and measures approximately 20cm x 20cm'

Interesting exercise for anyone bored - how many 100ml bottles can you get into the bag.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

Life is just too short.

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
720 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

Wow! Seven replies in the space of 5 minutes! Being bored, I've just established that you can only get 5 100ml containers in a Tesco zip freezer bag measuring 17cm x 18cm. Still that's 500ml of wine per person and will give a good saving on the price of the 185ml bottles they sell on such flights as Easyjet, Thomson, etc.

Yes, of course the airline "rules of travel" forbid you consuming your own alcohol but what are they going to do - throw you out of the door at 35,000ft? And they won't be able to confiscate it before you board (like some of the cruise ship companies) because it is not the airline that searches your hold bags.

So, I think we'll give it a try next time we fly and I'll try to remember to report back.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

10 of the same bottles of one liquid all in one bag. My spidey senses would be tingling if I was a security officer.... my bag rummaging fine tooth comb would be primed and ready to go.

How much are you going to pour down your neck on the flight to make a truly significant saving?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,308 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

Regulations normally state that you can't consume alcohol on board that hasn't been served by the cabin crew. Of course they can't through you out in flight, but not sure what they could do later (if they catch you). Personally I couldn't be bothered with drinking warm wine to save a few quid.