We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
720 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

Understand you can take 1000ml of liquid per passenger in your plastic bag through security provided it is in containers no larger than 100ml. You can buy empty 100ml travel containers so was thinking of decanting some cheap supermarket plonk into them and thus avoid the inflated prices for similar plonk on the plane.

I know the airlines frown on you drinking your own booze but the cabin staff would have to be pretty sharp and on the ball to find you doing it.

Anyone tried it? Any problems at security?

Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

After having a certain amount of booze you forget how to behave properly 100% of time. I know I would be concerned if a fellow passenger was throwing alcohol down his/her neck like it was going out of fashion.

32. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 August 2013, 20:35
England, United...
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

How p1ssed do you need to get in order to even think about taking a litre of your own cheap plonk on board an aircraft to drink covertly and save a few quid by decanting it into 100ml bottles.. That is sad IMHO.

I sincerely hope the OP is never on a flight with me. Assuming that the OP needs to get loaded/wasted whilst travelling by air, it is not too difficult to anticipate that he/she will imbibe a small tincture at the airport, or are they planning on taking their own booze there too in order to pre-load..

Being drunk on board an aircraft inbound or out of the UK is a criminal offence, for very good reasons.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,863 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

'On a European flight we normally order 4 x 185ml bottles at a time, which on two trolley services equals about a bottle each for the two of us.'

That's 9.4 units of alcohol at 12.5% ABV, on a short haul flight within Europe.

Blimey.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

Blimey indeed!!

London
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

On an Emirates flight last year, was difficult to stop them giving me wine - in economy. I asked for a wine prior to meal and was given two small bottles - again with meal without really asking another two small bottles. Then stewardess collecting empties, said would you like two more wine. Lucky was longer flight to Dubai but felt rather light headed lol.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

JayJay317-just noticed that on one of your other threads that your partner has Type1 diabetes

Please reassure us you don't intend to travel with her using this method for consuming alcohol???

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

I wouldnt decant in to little bottles but I have been known to take advantage of duty free offers and partake of that on the plane. Technically not allowed but if airlines had that much of an issue with alcohol they wouldnt serve it on board or in the airport in the first place.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

Airlines do have an issue with excessive alcohol consumption on board, it's a truly massive issue world wide in fact, but they have little say in what the duty free shops can sell. My airline has an average of one serious disruptive passenger incident per day and the vast majority of those are alcohol related, often connected with duty free purchases being consumed on board. A half litre of vodka downed at altitude seriously affects people, sadly it ofen affects a lot of people not directly involved in the consumption. Diverts happen often and cost the airlines a fortune.

Not aimed at the OP by the way, just the previous poster.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Plonk on the plane - 100ml containers?

Sorry to be blunt here, but if you really feel the need to decant a litre of cheap supermarket plonk ( your words ) into 10 seperate 100ml containers just so you can guzzle them down on the aircraft tthere are probably other websites you can seek advice from.

Seriously