We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air travel to Europe from U.S

Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Air travel to Europe from U.S

My husband and I are planning on going to Europe during Christmas time for about 2 weeks. We want to leave either the 20th or 21st of December until just past New Years. We want to visit Dublin, London, Paris, and Venice. Which destination would be the best to land in? To leave?

Also, if you have any suggestions as to which destination would be more fun to be in for Christmas and New Years that would be great!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,973 posts
607 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air travel to Europe from U.S

Some ideas in a haste:

- X-Mas: London is magic

- Venice: Might be cold and humid

- Paris is beautiful, of course, although I find the city stressful

- Flight back to the US: Dublin has pre-clearance on many flights: very convenient to arrive in the US "domestic"

- So Aer Lingus might be a good option. If not, I like LHR and BA.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 21:05
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,197 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air travel to Europe from U.S

Just be aware there is NO public transport on the 25th in London and many major sites - museums. galleries etc are closed between the 24th and 26th Dec so I would avoid London then if you can. You should check on the respective city forums for the others what is open/when in case it affects your planning.

As far as flights, that will depend on price. London or Paris is likely to be cheapest to fly to and from (multi-city). Eurostar (train) is easiest between London and Paris, book direct on the eurostar site upt o 120 days ahead, sometimes longer for US passengers.. Dublin and Venice you will probably need to fly between them and the other cities.

Personally I think 4 cities is a lot in two weeks esp with Xmas screwing things up for 2-3 days in the middle, the possibility of weather disruption and the time travel between destinations takes out of the available schedule, but that's your call.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air travel to Europe from U.S

You'll have to price out flights in different combinations and see which itinerary comes out cheapest. There's no way to know without checking. I'd just go for whichever route meets your price and desired travel time the best. From a geographical standpoint, Venice is so far from the other three, it would make some sense to put that at one end of the trip. And, all other things being equal, flying home from Dublin would be my preference because you can pre-clear immigration there, which is nice.

I also agree with several other posters that it's a lot of cities for just two weeks. You could easily spend all two weeks in London. I have not been to Paris but expect you could spend two weeks there, too. I'd cut out a city or even two so you can spend more time sightseeing and less in an airport.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air travel to Europe from U.S

I would do London or Paris, but most likely London *and* Paris. Book an open jaw flight and take the train between the two. DON'T try to do all four, or even three of the cities in the two weeks. You will spend too much time travelling between them.

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air travel to Europe from U.S

I agree with the other posters-4 cities are too much although Dublin is one of my favorite cities. Geographically, I would do Paris and London. London is more expensive than Paris to fly out if though.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air travel to Europe from U.S

I would cut out Venice - that way you would have a geographical triangle- Dublin - London - Paris - Dublin. there is a huge advantage flying from Dublin back to the US with the pre-clearance on most US bound flights.

Dublin closes down from 5.00pm Christmas Eve until December 27th so you might need to factor that into your plans. Also be aware of short daylight hours - will start getting dark 4.30pm - temps anywhere mid 30's - high 40's.

If it were my trip I would plan something like this : open jaw into Paris , Eurostar to London - Ryanair or Aer Lingus to Dublin , depart Dublin.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air travel to Europe from U.S

I'd probably cut out London, It can be a bit too busy at Christmas, Plus its too expensive Its a far far overated City anyway, I'd do Paris, Beautiful at Christmas, Venice then Dublin, Dublin is fairly small but well worth visiting for the 'Crac'.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,857 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Air travel to Europe from U.S

Consider Aerlingus and Jetblue to Dublin ( go to Jetblue.com / click on "Partner Airlines" - Aerlingus.com /

then book seperate flights from Dublin into mainland

Europe with Aerlingus 1st choice , Ryanair 2nd choice.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air travel to Europe from U.S

I would suggest flying first to Dublin for X-Mas(London is very overrated and very expensive during this period) then London for the New Year (public transportation stays open to the wee small hours to make sure all the revellers can get home safely) then catch the Eurostar from London to Paris and then fly home from there, it's a bit more linear but does miss out Venice

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air travel to Europe from U.S

I did Christmas day in Paris last year and it was magical! Had to leave before new years eve but I hear new years eve at the Eifel tower is great.