We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone know of cheaper tickets to Thailand over Christmas?

boston, ma
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
anyone know of cheaper tickets to Thailand over Christmas?

I am trying to plan family vacation to Thailand over Christmas.- 2 from LAX, 2 from Boston, MA.

Are there are secrets to getting cheaper air fairs? I have tried all of the major travel search engines, etc. but thinking that not everyone can be paying close to $2500 for a single ticket?

Thinking that I must be missing something? It is not as if they even celebrate Christmas- though I understand that it is high season.....any advise is very welcome!

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone know of cheaper tickets to Thailand over Christmas?

Hi

It is the high tourist season in Thailand and Xmass here what do you expect

but with that said are you set into certain dates or can you be flexable.

If you can be flexable check 3 days before or after the dates you want.

I just booked flight to BKK from BOI for 989 by being flexable and pickingt he dates with the cheapest price

but I am leaving in OCT

If you are set on dates then there is not much you can do all of the internet sites will have the same price

You might Have your 2 in LA go to Chinatown or Thai town and check with the local asian travel stores

they may have some deals.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone know of cheaper tickets to Thailand over Christmas?

"It is not as if they even celebrate Christmas"

well actually they do as a PR exercise for the tourists.

when I used to go there (before everyone else discovered it ) a lot of resorts had a compulsory xmas day lunch which u had to pay for...use it or not.

and most touristy places in asia are extremely busy at xmas.

that's when the southern hemisphere countries have their long summer break and travel.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone know of cheaper tickets to Thailand over Christmas?

Hi

where are you getting your price's what are your dates

I just did a quick search on orbitz

LAX to BKK

Leaving 12-17 returning on 12-31 was $1323

leaving 12-20 returning on 1-3 2014 was $1949

you are looking at the cheapest seats ?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone know of cheaper tickets to Thailand over Christmas?

Try looking on http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

You can search on a range of dates and lengths of stays. You can select say Dec 19 or so (it will price out a month at a time) and ask it to price out 7-10 day stays (or what ever duration you want). I saw flights at just under $1500 from LAX and although fares were more expensive from BOS (they averaged around $2200, I did see one flight combo that came in at just over $1900

boston, ma
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone know of cheaper tickets to Thailand over Christmas?

Thank you- but due to work schedules, can't leave until Sat (12/22/13) or beyond and return approx. 10-15 days later....back to work that Monday.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone know of cheaper tickets to Thailand over Christmas?

^^^^^ That explains why the fares are expensive. I saw the $1900 fare as well but you'd need to return on 26th (not exactly a full Christmas vacation).

With the Matrix site, as well as searching for fares from Boston, also search from nearby (ish) airports, including Manchester NH, Providence and (if you can stretch it) Hartford. You may be able to shave a couple of hundred off the fares going from/to those. You can use the "nearby" option beside the airport to include other airports.

Flights from the west coast are much more reasonable (in the $1700-1850 range).

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone know of cheaper tickets to Thailand over Christmas?

Break your trip into segments. From the West Coast, first book from a major US city to a major Asian City (Beijing, Taipei, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul, Guanzhou). Then book a low cost flight from an Asian City to BKK.

From the East Coast, first book from NYC to a major arab airport (Doha, Muscat, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Dubai). Then book a low cost flight from a Middle eastern city BKK.

It adds a lot of time and pain but that is how I manage to pay under $1200 during high season. Its not for the faint hearted as you spend more time travelling. But I am penny pincher. Here are sample fairs I found

EAST COAST:

EWR (New Jersey) to BAH (BAHRAIN) is $790

BAH (BAHRAIN) to BKK (Bangkok) is 590

$1390

Or

EWR (New Jersey) to MCT (Muscat, Oman) is $790

MCT (Muscat) to BKK (Bangkok) is $494

Total $1284

WEST COAST

LAX to SHANGHAI $1064

SHANGHAI to KUALA LUMPUR $289 (on Air Asia)

You can take bus into Thailand for less than $15.

Total: $1353

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone know of cheaper tickets to Thailand over Christmas?

HI

Praiseworthy 2012

the main problem with doing it your way is if your first flight is delayed and you miss your second you lose it and have to buy a new ticket

can you check your bags all the way thru?

Can you get boarding pass for your second flight at check-in or doyou have to wait and get it at the gate of your second flight?

for me too many varables and opportunitys for something to go majorly wrong.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anyone know of cheaper tickets to Thailand over Christmas?

Sawadeeka: You are completely right and make very good/valid points.

My solutions to this:

1. I only travel with a carryon (a backpackers backpack). Clothing is cheap in Asia that I have found that carrying pounds of clothing makes limited sense to me at least. I am a cheap dresser so T-shirts and polos are fine:)

2. I schedule the flights so that I spend the night in the Asian or Middle Eastern City. So when I arrive Doha or Shanghai, I spend at least 12 hours. That way if I am delayed even by 10 hours, I can still make the flight.

3.Most places, you can get the next ticket at the transit desk. In Bahrain, I was able to do that.

Yes its not for everyone. And after each trip, I swear to never do it again as the stress and aggravation is too much. But the appeal of an $1100 ticket wins over my rational thinking each time.

10. Re: anyone know of cheaper tickets to Thailand over Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 05:18