We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine in checked baggage.

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
wine in checked baggage.

I am of to Hamilton Island next week and thought of taking some wine in my checked baggage. Apart from the threat of it breaking do the airlines allow this? We are staying in a private apartment so thought this a good idea to save money. And while on the subject would a carton of beer be allowed? Many thanks.

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: wine in checked baggage.

Thanks KVE 1005 you understand my reason completely. There just happens to be a major race going on atm and for one hour each evening we can get a beer in plastic cup for only $2. Boy do we drink quickly at that price.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: wine in checked baggage.

Fair enough naej/Scrooge and thanks for being frank. If you can afford to holiday there you can afford the wine prices! Honestly (can you be honest with us?) what difference does $10 a bottle saving make to your enjoyment?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: wine in checked baggage.

many a little makes a mickle

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: wine in checked baggage.

Relatives from over seas booked a two bedroom apartment for themselves then when they saw the floor plan decided there was plenty of room to house lil ol me as a thank you for me being a good auntie for nearly 40 years. I cannot help myself grimacing at all the prices though even if I am on a freebie!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: wine in checked baggage.

I totally get it, even though I have thought nothing of paying through the nose for a bottle of wine at a restaurant which has been inflated by 200% over bottle shop prices.

It's a matter of principle, not thriftiness. If the management of HI or any similar establishment charge through the nose simply because they think they have a captive audience then we will move hell and high water to circumvent their plans. Must be an Aussie thing.

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: wine in checked baggage.

Evamelb my sentiments exactly.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,571 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: wine in checked baggage.

And the $20 or whatever you save on the wine can be used for getting something else you enjoy as well.

28. Re: wine in checked baggage.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 05:17