We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook - two flights to Heraklion within 15 minutes

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook - two flights to Heraklion within 15 minutes

We're off to Crete three weeks today, so I was idly looking at Gatwick departures to see how punctual the flight might be.

That's when I notice that TCX had two flights to Heraklion this afternoon :

Flight TCX 3218 15:25

Flight TCX 1326 15:40

Flightstats puts them even closer in time : 15:25 and 15:30. Arriving at 21:20 and 21:25 respectively. Aircraft are shown as 752 and 753 - whatever that means.

flightstats.co.uk/FlightStatus/…

Is this normal, or are they likely to be combined in a single flight? If so, what happens to seat bookings?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,809 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook - two flights to Heraklion within 15 minutes

"Is this normal, or are they likely to be combined in a single flight? If so, what happens to seat bookings?"

2 charter flights so close together would be unusual but still possible if there was sufficient demand - however low demand increases the risk of the flights being combined as they are unlikely to fly 2 planes half empty but it also depends on the numbers making the return flight.

If combined I'd imagine all seat bookings will be cancelled.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,858 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook - two flights to Heraklion within 15 minutes

I think the two flights are just for the peak season (next Friday being the last one with 2 flights). One of those only has about 4 seats left on it.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook - two flights to Heraklion within 15 minutes

At this peak time I am not surprised at this.I could not foresee them being combined.2 X A319/320 full loads amount to many more pax than any aircraft TCA own or lease could accommodate.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook - two flights to Heraklion within 15 minutes

752 = 757-200

753 = 757-300

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook - two flights to Heraklion within 15 minutes

Yes, it's possible as it's peak travelling time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook - two flights to Heraklion within 15 minutes

Thanks for the replies. As pointed out, it's obviously because of the school holidays. Though it seems strange they'd be so close together.

I'm glad we're not going till September - I'd hate to be checking in at Heraklion for the return flights.

uk
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook - two flights to Heraklion within 15 minutes

It makes sense that they are close together - it means they can compress the operation at the other end rather than having to complete the whole process twice in one day. While they may need more staff, they won't need twice as many staff hours, as they would if the flights were several hours apart.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook - two flights to Heraklion within 15 minutes

That seems reasonable, Geordie. It means any TC staff based at the airport would be there for a three or four hours, instead of all day.

9. Re: Thomas Cook - two flights to Heraklion within 15 minutes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 07:35
Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas Cook - two flights to Heraklion within 15 minutes

Surprised nobody has mentioned the obvious point. Thomas Cook Airlines do sell seats separately but they mainly exist to serve their package holiday businesses. If the flights arrive and depart within 15 minutes of each other, that means they can schedule one set of transfer coaches to and from the resorts and hotels, if the flights were further apart each flight would need its own coaches.

No actual Thomas Cook employee will have to work any harder. The check-in staff, boarding gate staff, and baggage handlers at both ends don't work for Cooks, they work for ground handling companies such as Swissport, Menzies, Servisair and process flights by several different airlines in the course of a shift.

The tour reps at airports just tick people off on a list and direct them to the right coach or check-in queue, and if the flights were more widely spaced they'd be doing that continuously, this way they may get a break.