We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia or Bangkok Airways

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia or Bangkok Airways

Hi,

I'm wondering which of these airlines is best(if any) to book with?

I'm not bothered about inflight service as my flights are no more than an hour so not really an issue to me, just a cheap airfare with no surprises unless of course i turn up at the airport with double the checked baggage allowance!!

I'm more bothered about punctuality, checking in online easily and so on.

I'm also wondering which airport in Bangkok(BKK or DMK) is going to prove easiest(and cheapest) to get to from central Bangkok.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply. I appreciate any advice you can give.

1. Re: Air Asia or Bangkok Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 November 2013, 03:32
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,415 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia or Bangkok Airways

You are trying to measure chalk and cheese.

Air Asia is a LCC (think Ryanair) and has been mentioned fly's out of DMK so if you are arriving/departing International at BKK it is can be a pain.

Bangkok Airways is a Boutique full service airline out of BKK and ALL pax have use of their dedicated lounge,their on board service is excellent

It all comes down to cost and convenience.

Check out reviews here

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/seats.htm.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,654 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia or Bangkok Airways

I've flown with both & never had a problem at all with either.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia or Bangkok Airways

Which I found interesting about Air Asia when I checked flights is the allowance for hand luggage - they actually allow one normal bag, plus a handbag, laptop etc. you also have options for the weight of the checked in luggage, paying more ofr 15, 20 or 25kg, so you have some flexibility. So yes, they are a low cost airline, but with better allowance. In the end I decided to take the train instead and didn't book with them, but the prices and allowances do sound pretty good.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia or Bangkok Airways

Bangkok Airways as said full service airline from BKK, Air Asia operates from Don Muang ( DMK ) which I find a lot easier to trvel through, anothe excellent options you have not mentioned is Nok Air who also operate from DMK

http://www.nokair.com

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,267 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia or Bangkok Airways

Air Asia is just fine but Bangkok Airways is better.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293940-i9551-k675…

The Air Asia prices fluctuate more than the Bangkok Airways ones, so you will need luck and experience to buy just when the price is at its cheapest. At worst their price can be more expensive than with Bangkok Airways.

With Air Asia it is essential to prepay for all checked baggage and the default allowance is zero. The baggage fees are really high if you pay at check-in. Bangkok Airways has a 20 kg allowance in economy class and also makes it easy to pay for additional allowance when buying the flight.

Bangkok Airways has online check-in, but I could not be bothered to use it since they require you to be quite early at the baggage drop if you have checked baggage. The check-in at the airport was quite speedy.

Nok Air http://www.nokair.com operating also from Don Mueang is a direct competitor to Air Asia for domestic flights in Thailand. Their basic price includes a 15 kg checked baggage allowance which is plenty enough for many travelers.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia or Bangkok Airways

Bangkok Airways is the better of the 2 but I have also flown a few times with air Asia and never had a problem, I would probably go with best price/schedule but as the others have said bear in mind that Asia flys from Don Muang and has strict baggage rules.

8. Re: Air Asia or Bangkok Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 06:20