We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

merging flights

Whippany, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
merging flights

My boyfriend booked us a flight from Newark to Honolulu on United Airlines. I booked us a flight from Honolulu to Kona on Hawaiian Airlines, so because we booked them separately they're 2 reservations, so I'm guessing that we'd have to check in again to get to our Hawaiian Airlines flight. So my questions are:

1) Am I correct in thinking that we'd have to go through security in Honolulu to check in on the Honolulu to Kona flight?

2) Is there a way for me to merge the 2 flights so that we don't have to collect our bag from the United Flight and then check in at the Hawaiian Island flight.

I know this was dumb, I a novice traveler (can you tell?)

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,449 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: merging flights

call United and ask them.

the airlines may be on same alliance and can check bags all the way thru

but I doubt if you can link the two tickets as one.

how much layover between flights.

FYI if seperate tickets and the first flight is late and you miss second flight you lose second flight.

good Luck

Edited: 18 August 2013, 16:55
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,692 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: merging flights

It *is* possible to "merge" as you call it, two seperate bookings into one... but... in most cases that's going to be expensive ...

Essentially what you will have to do is cancel one of the bookings and rebook that cancelled sector on the same ticket as the remaining one... That usually requires ticket change and rebooking fees.... There really is no "merge" per se..

You can "link" them, but that does NOT infer or confer any statutory or contractual protections for things like a missed connection or thru-checking of passengers or bags.

A carrier can thru-check a passenger or bags (if they have the ability to do so) even if on seperate tickets -- but they do so solely at their discretion... You don't have the right to demand such.. And they can also impose any fees for rebooking if you miss an onward flight..

I would call first United as see what they can do for you at this point, but the most important person here I suspect will be the check-in agent at your origin airport who will probably be the one to decide if s/he will thru check you or your bags into your onward HA flight for you.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 18 August 2013, 17:01
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: merging flights

Last year Hawaiian adopted a policy of not interlining baggage on separate PNRs, so you'll have to collect your bags and re-check them at HNL.

4. Re: merging flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 06:20