We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kitchen Cleaver/Heavy Knife back into Australia

Perth, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kitchen Cleaver/Heavy Knife back into Australia

My wife and I go to Bali every year and we always do a cooking class. At the class they sell the traditional heavy cleavers. I have never bought one as I assumed it won't be permitted through customs. However upon reading the rules, I do not believe this is covered as a weapon. Has anyone else successfully bought this sort of item through Australian Customs?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,219 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kitchen Cleaver/Heavy Knife back into Australia

As long as it is in your checked luggage (and not carry on) I can't see you having any problems. I've brought smaller knives back from Viet Nam with no issues.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kitchen Cleaver/Heavy Knife back into Australia

chefs knives are not subject to control. I would think a cleaver would fall under this category

Edited: 19 August 2013, 10:36
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,751 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kitchen Cleaver/Heavy Knife back into Australia

I am sure you can buy similar ones in most places in Australia so I see no problem bringing one in your checkedbag. Highly unlikely you will be stopped and searched anyway.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kitchen Cleaver/Heavy Knife back into Australia

"I am sure you can buy similar ones in most places in Australia so I see no problem bringing one"

just because things are commercially available in Australia doesn't automatically mean the equivalents can be imported by travellers.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kitchen Cleaver/Heavy Knife back into Australia

If you are stopped I would hope the Aussie customs official would unwrap it and say, ' That's not a knife.........'

Edited: 19 August 2013, 11:04
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,751 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kitchen Cleaver/Heavy Knife back into Australia

LOL @ Mr Marcos.

Iien I realise that but I was actually agreeing with you.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kitchen Cleaver/Heavy Knife back into Australia

The only issue I can see, being an avid watcher of the customs type program, is the sort of wood the handle might be made of. I think you should be sure to declare it assuming its a wooden handle.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kitchen Cleaver/Heavy Knife back into Australia

I don't believe kitchen knives fall into any of these categories

www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp#e1066

I brought knives back from Switzerland a couple of years ago with no problems. Make sure they are well wrapped. If Customs go through your bag they may not take kindly to any sharp surprises.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kitchen Cleaver/Heavy Knife back into Australia

As a chef I can tell you I regularly bring knives ( and a lot of other equipment ) back to Australia from the USA , I have never declared nor have I ever been stopped and searched , though the knives and equipment I do bring back do not contain wood . I always have them in my checked luggage . I am sure my luggage makes an interesting x-ray picture , few clothes and lots of kitchen stuff.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 13:10
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kitchen Cleaver/Heavy Knife back into Australia

All kitchen chefs travel with their own knives when the go abroad to work so as long as it's in the checked luggage it won't be a problem.