We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

People who are denied entry into the US at the airports?

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
People who are denied entry into the US at the airports?

My family booked round-trip tickets to NYC on short notice, and we will be leaving Canada in two days. At some point I started getting very nervous about having a run-in with US immigration.

This is because two years ago I made an incredibly stupid decision, had a run-in with the police and courts even though in the end it resulted in a diversion (alternative measures), which means no record of any conviction... although there is still info in the 'deeper' sections of a background check on me that yes, I DID do something that was resolved through diversion.

My family does often cross the border to go down to the states for some shopping, and we haven't ever had any issues with the border guards even though speaking with them does make me break into sweat (I regret doing what I did back then so damn much now, wow).

Now I know circumstances can be different everywhere, but I'm super worried about being stopped or even DENIED entry into the states because of my past, especially since we're even transferring flights in Salt Lake City before we reach JFK.

Anyone know of people who have been stopped or denied due to their criminal past?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: People who are denied entry into the US at the airports?

My guess would be you won't travel there with ESTA anymore. Try to contact the embassy?

telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/northame…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,326 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: People who are denied entry into the US at the airports?

Entry requirements for Canada are not the same as those for the States. https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ Read this carefully. If you think you will not qualify for Esta* then you should apply for a visa *now* since you want to travel in July.

*Being granted Esta is not a guarantee of admissability, so again, please read the information carefully, especially if you have already booked a flight.

Edited: 04 April 2014, 02:18
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,283 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: People who are denied entry into the US at the airports?

Nigella Lawson was just denied entry into the US, and she wasn't even arrested as far as I know.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,222 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: People who are denied entry into the US at the airports?

< Nigella Lawson was just denied entry into the US, and she wasn't even arrested as far as I know. >

She was denied boarding at Heathrow - presumably it means that her ESTA or visa had been revoked.

It's another reason why Ireland with US pre-clearance is becoming a popular route to the US as it avoids the worries of being denied entry - possibly arrested - when you reach the US after a several hours long flight

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: People who are denied entry into the US at the airports?

According to US guide lines you will need to declare this conviction and that will make you ineligible to use the ESTA system, you will have to apply for a visa in person and the chances of you being granted one by July are between slim and bugger all, in fact chances of you ever being granted a visa to visit/transit in the US are virtually non existent because of your conviction unless it's for emergency reasons (death in the family etc)-don't think it's even worth trying to omit the the conviction on the application as pretty certain the US authorities have access to UK records-pick another destination and save yourself a lot of money and disappointment as this dog won't hunt

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: People who are denied entry into the US at the airports?

Those applying for a visa in person at the US embassy in the uk must submit a certificate showing a clear criminal record as part of their application, which you would not get.

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: People who are denied entry into the US at the airports?

When i went to Florida last year i got asked if i had a criminal record. I smiled and said no i am a good boy. Truth is i have never been in trouble with the law. Might be the way i look, i do a lot of strong man weight lifting, tattoos bald, you get the idea. He smiled and let me go, never did a check on me

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: People who are denied entry into the US at the airports?

Dustyjoe,the checks are made these days before anyone eveb steps on an aircraft, there have been instances when ESTA's have been issued and you don't hear a dickie bird until you give the airline the API and that's when the real problems start-rumour has it they have really cracked down on passenger eligibility since the new year

Edited: 04 April 2014, 09:25
Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: People who are denied entry into the US at the airports?

If that's the case and they know i have no criminal convictions, why ask?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,533 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: People who are denied entry into the US at the airports?

"If that's the case and they know i have no criminal convictions, why ask?" - An ESTA is simply an authorisation to travel, it does not guarantee admission - that decision rests with whichever CBP official you encounter and in theory they can ask anything they want before admitting you.