We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing planes

Aberystwyth, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Changing planes

Hello,

I am buying a through ticket from London LHR to Ljubljana LJU via Paris CDG. I am buying the ticket on Air France webpage and it is an e-ticket. I have always flown direct flights only so I have a few questions regarding changing the planes.

1) Checked-in luggage: Can I check my luggage for the complete itinerary or will I have to claim it in Paris and check it again? The flights are operated by different airlines. The connection is international (from a non-Schengen country to a Schengen country) - does this affect checked luggage in any way?

2) E-ticket check-in: As I have only ever flown low-cost (where you check-in online and print your boarding pass at home), how does this work? Do I simply go to the counter with the e-ticket number, or can I check-in online at home and already print the boarding pass, as I am used to do?

3) Boarding passes: If I check-in at the airport, will I receive the boarding pass only for the first flight or for both flights? If only for the first one, where do I get the second one when changing planes?

Thank you very much for helping! :)

Edited: 21 August 2013, 12:28
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing planes

Your luggage should be checked in to your final destination. You can check in online or at the airport.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing planes

You should also get both boarding passes when you check in for the first flight.

If you decide you check in at the airport you normally only need to present your passport - your eticket will be stored in the airlines computer but it's always a good idea of have a copy of the reference number.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
662 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing planes

Even if you have only the first lag of your flights, you should be get the second when you get to the airport. You can retrieve from automated machine or manned check-in counter.

As others said, your check-in luggage will meet you at the final destination.

Just be careful that transfer at CDG is tricky. You need to plenty of time if you need to move from one terminal to another.

Aberystwyth, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing planes

Thank you all for helping me! Everything clear now, thanks! :)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing planes

Whilst you can checkin at the airport, its always best to checkin online as soon as it opens (normally 24 hours ahead) , since it will bring up any problems there may be a day ahead, so you have more time to fix them and aren't doing it under time pressure at the airport. Sometimes you can checkin for both flights online, but other times only the first flight will be available for checkin and the second boarding pass will likely be given to you when you go to bag drop for the first flight. This depends on the airlines involved.

You should also check your flights from time to time in case one or both planes are rescheduled and connection times become an issue, since airlines system may not always pick this up even for an impossible connection.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
662 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing planes

It's true that it is always best to check-in online in advance so that you can get up-to-date info as well as you can assign seat as a part of advantage from regular airlines.

Aberystwyth, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing planes

Thank you! I will definitely check-in online.

8. Re: Changing planes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 06:19