We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Berlin Horror Story

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Air Berlin Horror Story

I had the misfortune of flying Air Berlin in June from Chicago to Nice (via Berlin and Dusseldorf). My wife's bag was lost en route, and finally found and returned 12 days later. We filed a claim for expenses incurred to replace necessary items during this period (as instructed by Air Berlin) and later learned that only about 40% of the expenses would be reimbursed. I replied to Air Berlin that this was unacceptable and asked how to proceed and with whom. No response. 3 weeks later, I tried again and no response. I then posted on their Facebook page and immediately received a response that they would forward my request to customer service, but that was a week ago and still no response.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I should follow up and with whom to try and get an acceptable resolution? Needless to say, I will never fly Air Berlin again and would strongly urge the TripAdvisor community to be wary of this airline.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

On the air Berlin website it says it will compensate any reasonable expenses subject to the liability limitations provided under the Montreal Convention, if you check out the Montreal convention it says airlines can either pay an immediate one off payment, a set amount per day up to a maximum number of days or reimburse expenditure on essential items on seeing receipts, Air Berlin choose to do the last option and therefore would have needed receipts of the essential item purchased and it's there discretion of what can be deemed "Essential"

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

You still have the clothes, the cosmetics etc. you bought plus what you packed right?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,644 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

Just what I was about to say, you have a few extra clothes you bought and you still have them to wear and you have your suitcase. I don't really understand the problem.

While it must have been a bit annoying not a real horror story.

The same has happened to me and I never claimed as I still had the new purchases and they were clothes I would have chosen.

Time to move on I think.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

I agree that every airline is atrocious about communication during a delayed or lost luggage event, and I hate that most of the posters here tend to give them a pass for that.

That said, I'm not sure why anyone who expected to be reimbursed for purchases wouldn't keep receipts? When is a credit card statement ever acceptable for reimbursement anywhere? And generally you're not reimbursed for the full value of purchases because you get to keep them after. But they should be able to explain the whole process to you up front and keep you updated during, and yes, AirBerlin sucks at those things, but so does every other airline.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

I have to agree with brooklyn bridge. If you don't have the receipts, you cannot expect them to pay. I suspect you know and knew you needed them all along, so why do you not have them?

If you have lost them, then put it down to lesson learned and move on. If you are trying to con the airline into paying for non essentials by just showing them a credit card receipt from a department store or similar, stop being so silly and move on. If you are now publicly bad mouthing them in an attempt to get them to pay for said non essentials, stop being so stupid and move on.

The upshot would be, move on. The airline has already communicated with you on the policy and what it will refund. It's done. Move on.

Ps and yes, it's hardly a horror story.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

In the end your wife got all of her own clothing, shoes and cosmetics back. In addition she got $500 worth of new clothing. If you could prove that you bought those clothing items Air Berlin would have paid $200 of those expenses, meaning she would have received $500 worth of new clothing for $300.

I think the more serious problem is not that Air Berlin will only reimburse you for 40% of your expenses, but that you have absolutely no record of your expenses. No one......certainly no other airline, and very likely no insurance company is going to reimburse your for items you cannot prove you purchased. I am bemused that you are so outraged that they will not accept your credit card receipts.

I believe that a successful trip is one that ultimately results in my reaching my destination safely and hopefully within my time frame. I reserve the word "horror" for those airline experiences that do not end that way. Happily almost none of us really have any airline "horror" stories.

Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

I don't understand the comments re receipts.

In Australia, if you pay by CC you either get every item listed and detailed by line on one piece of paper or you get 2 pieces of paper - 1 detailing by line what you bought (and also the fact you paid by cc etc) and the other piece of paper a generic receipt showing you paid x$ to whoever by cc.

What did you get? maybe it is different in Europe.

To those posters saying the OP hasn't got receipts - where does the OP say that? They only say that the airline won't accept cc receipts.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

"...stop being so stupid and move on.

The upshot would be, move on. The airline has already communicated with you on the policy and what it will refund. It's done. Move on."

Why are you assuming that the OP is stupid or that s/he doesn't understand "move on" ?

In Canada all cc purchases are listed the same as in Australia, in 2 parts..one itemized and second part just has the $ value. Some merchants actually staple the 2 parts together.

Good luck OP

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

Vacation I think you are confusing a tax invoice which lists each item, its cost and the GST paid, with the Credit Card statement that simply gives the amount of money spent with a particular trader. So if the OP bought all these essentials in one store for $500 the CC statement just says that they spent $500 at store XYZ. It doesn't itemize.

I'm a bit dumbfounded that anyone would consider cosmetics an essential item - and what woman doesn't carry her cosmetics with her? Who would even consider getting on a long haul flight without moisturizer and makeup?

Edited: 23 August 2013, 05:26
Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

"Who would even consider getting on a long haul flight without moisturizer and makeup"

Me (male)

Eva, being pedantic here, OP doesn't mention statement, only receipts. (post#10)