We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DIY trip - booking flights & hotels via agents or direct?

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
DIY trip - booking flights & hotels via agents or direct?

My husband and I are planning a DIY trip around SE Asia - Thailand, Loas, Vietnam and Cambodia. We will be taking a series of flights between these countries and booking hotels and trips ourselves.

What's the best way to book the flights and hotels? Should we book via companies such as Expedia or direct with the airlines? Same with hotels? Which affords more protection? Should we pay with debit or credit card (more protect with credit but there are likely to be charges).

We will have travel insurance!

All flights and hotels chosen (we almost) but bees advise now we're at te booking stage.

Many thanks

1. Re: DIY trip - booking flights & hotels via agents or direct?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 October 2013, 13:37
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DIY trip - booking flights & hotels via agents or direct?

I usually book direct - it gives me more flexibility and it's much easier dealing with any problems that arise if there's no middleman. But I can see that with a potentially complex itinerary like yours, you might feel more comfortable with an agent. Just make sure they're a good and reputable one - I've used Trailfinders a couple of times and been very pleased with their service. Expedia is perfectly legit and I've booked hotels through them when they've offered a better price than the hotel's own website, but you're not going to get expert phone support from them the way you will from Trailfinders.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,838 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DIY trip - booking flights & hotels via agents or direct?

I would not bother using Expedia for SE Asia hotels to be honest, I mainly use booking.com & agoda, they have far more hotels listed. directrooms.com is an useful comparison site as well

4. Re: DIY trip - booking flights & hotels via agents or direct?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 21:41
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,388 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DIY trip - booking flights & hotels via agents or direct?

I'm with Jayne.

For SE Asia, go with Agoda as they have the largest presence, and also the greatest number of directly contracted listed properties in the region.

And for airlines go direct.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 10:18
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DIY trip - booking flights & hotels via agents or direct?

Go direct with airlines and check what hotels offer direct or go to the 'local' hotel boking agents for the places you are heading to, always use local search engines for those countries so you get local info. For Thailand Sawadee.com beachsiam.com are good

Edited: 22 August 2013, 12:44
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,602 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DIY trip - booking flights & hotels via agents or direct?

ALWAYS use a credit card(not a debit card) to book travel!

I don't know what "charges" you expect that will be extra but there is no protection at all using a debit card!

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DIY trip - booking flights & hotels via agents or direct?

Great - thanks everyone for all the advice. Very helpful.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DIY trip - booking flights & hotels via agents or direct?

Another vote for booking directly with airlines, nowadays you don't need to go with travle agents.

10. Re: DIY trip - booking flights & hotels via agents or direct?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:19