We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan w Emirates, non-refundable - possible to cancel?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Japan w Emirates, non-refundable - possible to cancel?

So, maybe I'm being a nervous nellie here, but getting concerned about my up-coming trip to Japan, given the scope of the radioactive water leaks, and the fact that it is seeping into ground water... well, just doesn't make me comfortable.

Not so much that we are planning to visit near the exclusion zone, but its more the possibility of contaminated food and water that worry me.

At present the UK Gov has advised: The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to the exclusion zones around the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear facility identified by the Japanese authorities. On 19 August 2013, a new leak of around 300 tons of radioactive water was discovered at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear facility, causing Japanese regulators to issue an INES Level 3 rating.

So, does anyone have any experience with situations similar, and what the chances are of getting our tickets refunded or at the very least credit to be used for a trip elsewhere?

Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japan w Emirates, non-refundable - possible to cancel?

I lived in Japan for years until recently, so I hope I can help you.

Firstly, while it is a shocking situation in Fukushima, most tourist destinations are far away from there.

Don't worry about contaminated food/water-- again, Japan is a long, if not big country, and many of the agricultural areas are nowhere near Fukushima. Food from Kyushu is sought after because it is so far from Fukushima (incidentally, here in Hong Kong it is also sought after by people wishing to avoid food from mainland China). Drink bottled water if you're really worried but again you will be fine.

Where are you landing with Emirates-- Osaka or Tokyo? If you're spending the majority of your time in Kansai (Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe region) or further south you are definitely over reacting. Even in Tokyo, it's very far from Fukushima. But if you want to visit Japan still, just concentrate on western Japan to allay your fears.

I don't think it's worth you cancelling your ticket.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japan w Emirates, non-refundable - possible to cancel?

I think you are being a nervous nelly. Good response from Bimdonesia. The country is fab so just go and enjoy Japan and you'll come back glowing.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,832 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japan w Emirates, non-refundable - possible to cancel?

"what the chances are of getting our tickets refunded or at the very least credit to be used for a trip elsewhere?"

To be honest I think you are overreacting and unless the FCO issues a travel advisory cover your specific locations/dates you chances of a refund are zero - you wont be covered by travel insurance either as disinclination to travel is normally excluded.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,803 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japan w Emirates, non-refundable - possible to cancel?

"and the fact that it is seeping into ground water"

The accident site is coastal. Ground water runs downhill just like everything else... except it is going through rock and soil.

You will have more radioactive exposure on your flights there and back simply from altitude than you will encounter on the ground.

London
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Japan w Emirates, non-refundable - possible to cancel?

Did you book direct with Emirates, kitten. I had to cancel an Emirates flight earlier this year and it was 100 pound penalty - remainder was refunded within days. It should tell on on the booking conditions whether cancellation is possible.

If you booked through a third party then they probably have their own cancellation clauses.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Japan w Emirates, non-refundable - possible to cancel?

So, maybe I'm being a nervous nellie here, but getting concerned about my up-coming trip to Japan, given the scope of the radioactive water leaks, and the fact that it is seeping into ground water... well, just doesn't make me comfortable.

--------

The press are to blame for the ludicrous scare stories and you for not taking a few minutes to consider the fact you will be hundreds of miles away.

Read this. theregister.co.uk/2013/…

And then travel with no worries

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Japan w Emirates, non-refundable - possible to cancel?

hi all, thanks for your varying opinions!

We did book directly with Emirates and are flying into Tokyo and planning to be predominantly around that area with a few day trips, staying for 10 days.

I am very aware that Tokyo is a considerable distance away from the exclusion areas of Fukushima, and that ground water follows gravity and flows out to the ocean.

This will be our 3rd trip to Japan, its a great place and I am very much looking forward to the trip in October. I was looking for any feedback in relation to changing non-refundable tix, so I could weigh the options if the conditions get to the point where the gov't advises there is a risk to personal health and safety.

As a general rule we eat organic, unprocessed food, so the water that is used to wash/prepare, and is included in what we'll be eating is something that does concern me personally, I can appreciate that not everyone shares this sentiment, however, for me, it matters.

8. Re: Japan w Emirates, non-refundable - possible to cancel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 21:35
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Japan w Emirates, non-refundable - possible to cancel?

@tilly, well as it was an airtravel related question, in the spirit of trip advisor, I thought I'd see if anyone had any similar experience with Emirates, in situations where cancellations may be allowed due to certain situations which may make your destination unsafe.. it is my experience that the friendly folks on TA are well travelled and have a wealth of experience to share, kinda the point of the whole thing. I'm not at the stage where I want to cancel, otherwise yes, I would have contacted Emirates directly, just getting a feel for the situation

Edited: 22 August 2013, 21:36
London
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Japan w Emirates, non-refundable - possible to cancel?

I tried to answer your original question - is it possible to cancel - not give you lecture about why you should cancel. All my flights with Emirates have allowed cancellation with the 100 pound penalty fee. I am sure yours is the same, kitten, clicking on booking conditions should confirm this.