We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Schengen question (sorry guys!)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,663 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Another Schengen question (sorry guys!)

traveling to Italy next week for a month, changing planes from San Francisco to Milan in Frankfurt. Is that where I make sure I get my passport stamped with an entry stamp as my first Schengen country (US citizen) or does it get stamped in Milan (my first Italian city). Not sure if I go through passport control in Frankfurt (thinking yes)

I have read reports if people not getting their passports stamped so want to make sure it's stamped where it is supposed to be.

Thanks.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,558 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Schengen question (sorry guys!)

Immigration will take place on your entry point into the Schengen-area - so that's Frankfurt.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Schengen question (sorry guys!)

You will pass immigration at Frankfurt (entry point to Schengen) - not in Milan.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,598 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Schengen question (sorry guys!)

You'll pass through immigration in Frankfurt. There'll be no passport control in Milano.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Schengen question (sorry guys!)

siouxxie,

You will clear immigration at FRA (as part of the transit process). And yes your US passport will be stamped. If the officer doesn't then ask him/her to.

FYI - Customs will be done in Milan, so that's where your bags will be through checked to. Each country within the Schengen area still has its own customs rules; customs duty and tax is regulated by each state. But customs just involves you walking through the red (something to declare) or green (nothing to declare) channels. Don't use the blue channel as that's for solely intra EU transport.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,663 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Schengen question (sorry guys!)

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the reassurance!

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Schengen question (sorry guys!)

But customs will be in Milano.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Schengen question (sorry guys!)

Sorry, between the time I opened this question and I replied (yes, I am using multi-tabs and do several things at the same time :-)), 3 more replied making my post irrelevant... Never mind...

UK
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Schengen question (sorry guys!)

"Each country within the Schengen area still has its own customs rules"

====

Not quite correct.

The EU is a customs union, so the only Schengen countries that have their own rules are the ones that are outside the EU (Switzerland, Norway, Iceland - have I forgotten any?)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Schengen question (sorry guys!)

>> Not quite correct.<<

Actually no. Each EU country can set its own allowances, especially for pax traveling from outside the EU. For example

Germany's duty free allowance for "all other goods" from outside the EU is 300 Euros (or £258) - …zoll.de/english_version/…index.html

The United Kingdom's duty allowance for all other goods from outside the EU is £390 (or 454 Euros) - hmrc.gov.uk/customs/…1

Edited: 24 August 2013, 11:13
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Schengen question (sorry guys!)

<Germany's duty free allowance for "all other goods" from outside the EU is 300 Euros (or £258) - …zoll.de/english_version/…index.html>

If you enter the country by air or sea it's actually 430 Euros.

I think all EU countries have a similar allowance. Otherwise you could just choose the EU country that suits you best, book seperate flights and re-check your bag with an EU baggage tag. lol

Edited: 24 August 2013, 12:30