We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transiting at London Heathrow

1 post
Save Topic
transiting at London Heathrow

Hi. I am flying from KLIA on MAS on the 12 of september, will arriving London Heathrow T4 at 550,transiting to glasgow by british airway at 1005 at T5. Please advise on how long it takes to go thru all the immigration. Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transiting at London Heathrow

Immigration could take 10 minutes or 45 minutes, it's difficult to predict. Yours is the first flight to arrive at T4, so unless it is late departing or arriving on stand, you should be amongst the first in the queue at immigration. Bags should be on the belt by the time you complete the arrival process. Cabin crew should hand out landing cards on board your flight; you'll need the address of your destination in Glasgow.

From T4 Arrivals to T5, consider taking the 482 or 490 to T5. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…heathrow-t4.pdf The bus station is right outside the terminal building; travel time will probably be a bit faster than the free HEX shuttle, which will require a change of train at Heathrow Central.

The bus station at T5 is about a minute's walk from the terminal building; there are lifts up from the Arrivals level straight to Departures. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…heathrow-t5.pdf

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transiting at London Heathrow

You should be able to get your bags through checked to Glasgow and transit air side.

When you arrive at Heathriw T4 follow the signs to Flight Connections, where you'll board a transit bus to take you to T5. There, you'll reclear security (liquids rules apply), then clear UK immigration and proceed to the departure lounge.

With an on time arrival 4hr15 transit time will be more than enough. You can probably absorb a two hour delay on the inbound and still comfortably make it.

Note that as both Malaysia and BA are in OneWorld, even if you're traveling on separate tickets you'll have your bags through checked and will be given the same protection as if you were flying on one ticket. It's still a good idea (whether on one ticket or two, but you must do so with two) to do online check in with BA before leaving KUL as you'd have your boarding passes to show the MH staff for through checking your bags, and in case any problems arise you'd have a few hours to sort them with BA.

Edited: 25 August 2013, 06:09
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transiting at London Heathrow

USBT: oneworld.com/airports-destinations/… seems to confirm what you are writing regarding the luggage. I am interested to see whether this will continue when travelling on different tickets. Also I am wondering whether it also works on other alliances (I am almost always travelling on single tickets). Any idea?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,472 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transiting at London Heathrow

Are you booked KLIA to GLA via LHR ot have you booked separate tickets for each leg - if the latter then whilst Malaysia MIGHT check your bags through there's no guarantee of it and hence you should allow longer to transit.

Note that whilst you may be able to get your luggage checked through to GLA, there's no guarantee it will happen the other way - BA has been known to throw a strop and not do it even if both tickets are with BA.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transiting at London Heathrow

As so often in the airline world they are inconsistent. Notoriously bmi when it was part of Star Alliance often refused to check through baggage when two separate tickets were involved and both flights were their own, let alone to alliance partners. At the other extreme A3 (Aegean) staff actually ask passengers checking in for Athens from Greek island airports whether they have an onward Star Alliance flight on another ticket and offer to check the bags through.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transiting at London Heathrow

Swissdiver,

There's no confirmable evidence that either of the other alliances do this. The OneWorld evidence is a page on the American Airlines website, backed up with lots of cases on FlyerTalk where the airlines have helped out (not just American), not just on misconnects due irrops but also on re-routing when schedule changes mess up the MCT - aa.com/i18n/…oneworld_tkt_policy.jsp

That said, there are other unanswered questions (maybe why there's been no official press announcement), such as if the intermediate airport is in a country where the passenger doesn't have entry clearance. TIMATIC would flag that based on the first ticket. Could a check-in agent override TIMATIC based on a separate onward ticket?

Note that the OP wouldn't have that TIMATIC issue as the intermediate airport (LHR) and final destination (GLA) are in the same country (United Kingdom).

Regarding Star Alliance, there have been pointers that some members may do a similar thing (and that Singapore Airlines refuses to participate), but IMO not anywhere near enough to be confirmable evidence.

I'm flying Star in a few days time. If check-in is quiet and I get a friendly agent, I may ask.

Bottom line is that the OP will be absolutely fine with their 4 hour plus connection from MH to BA.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transiting at London Heathrow

There have been statements from BA that they will allow baggage to be checked through on two tickets if the other airline is in Oneworld, I don't think they ever envisaged the rogue check-in staff that would refuse a BA to BA connection any more than BMI did. Maybe these are actually the same people at the same outstations?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transiting at London Heathrow

Just to reiterate. OneWorld carriers DO through check bags to separately ticketed OneWorld flights.

As Malaysia and BA are both OneWorld, this won't be a problem here.

And note, we don't even know if adamtyh is on separate tickets or not.

9. Re: transiting at London Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 05:19