We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

layover in JFK or ATL? flying with delta...help!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
layover in JFK or ATL? flying with delta...help!

can you seasoned travellers please advise me which would be the better option to choose. price is the same. about me: early 20s, first time solo traveller, female, nervous about missing my connecting flight! never had a layover before & longest flight was 4.5hrs.

dub-jfk-sfo, leaves DUB at 10.35am, 2hr 21min layover in JFK, arrive in SF at 6.53PM local time. total journey 16hr 18min

positives: personal inflight entertainment on both legs, first leg will be slightly shorter

negatives: heard jfk is harder to navigate, delays more often

dub-atl-sfo, leaves DUB at 8.40am, 2hr 10min layover in ATL, arrives in SF at 5.20pm local time.

positives: earlier departure, arrive slightly earlier in SF

negatives: dub-atl is a 9+ hr flight on older aircraft with no inflight entertainment, overall journey is 22min longer (not a big issue)

i was considering pulling an all nighter before the flight, since they leave early and i'll have to be in the airport a few hours prior (and travel there, which is about 1.5 hrs from my house) and try to get my body used to the time difference by sleeping on the first leg...not sure if this is a good or bad idea. if good, it would mean the in flight entertainment would not matter. i will probably be taking an ipod with movies/music anyways.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: layover in JFK or ATL? flying with delta...help!

Me, i would do ATL anytime over JFK.

"older aircraft with no inflight entertainment"

Far as I know all planes have some kind of inflight entertainment. What are the two different aircraft to get from DUB to the USA?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: layover in JFK or ATL? flying with delta...help!

sorry, i didnt explain that accurately. i meant no seat-back entertainment.

from what i have read, delta switch to older aircraft (with no inflight ent) during the winter for ireland-atl. when i do a mock booking in december i get the overhead entertainment icon for the DUB-ATL leg of the journey

Edited: 26 August 2013, 18:10
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: layover in JFK or ATL? flying with delta...help!

If having seat back entertainment is that important then I guess you go JFK. It is not a bad airport certainly just not as nice as ATL in my opinion.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: layover in JFK or ATL? flying with delta...help!

its not a huge deal, like i said, i'll probably have my ipod with music/movies and there is seat back movies on the second leg of my trip. just not sure if i should go older plane/better airport, vs. better plane, crappy airport..if that makes sense!

would 2hr 10min layover in ATL be long enough? i will have cleared customs already, and i assume my bags will be checked through already from Dublin. is ATL easy to navigate? i'm really worried about not being able to find my way to my connecting flight!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,052 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: layover in JFK or ATL? flying with delta...help!

You'll be flying into and out of Delta's brand new Terminal 4 at JFK. I wouldn't hesitate to do that!

In fact I am flying through there on my way TO Europe next month!

It will be easy to just land at the terminal and walk (in the same terminal) to your new gate.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: layover in JFK or ATL? flying with delta...help!

I far prefer Atlanta to JFK, and 2:10 should be plenty of time since you won't have to go through Customs & Immigration. Atlanta is an easier airport to navigate, and in my experience is more efficient.

Do bring plenty of entertainment, though. While sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised and find that a plane has been updated with seatback IFE, getting stuck on a long flight with no entertainment is the Worst.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,093 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: layover in JFK or ATL? flying with delta...help!

I don't think there's much difference between JFK and ATL especially as you should pre clear Immigration/Customs at Dublin meaning you arrive as a domestic flight and therefore may not even need to change terminals.

However if you're planning travel for December then I'd opt for ATL simply because of the risk of winter weather disruption at JFK.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: layover in JFK or ATL? flying with delta...help!

it will probably be mid november when i travel there. i wouldn't have to switch terminals in JFK? that does sound more tempting. would it be easy to find my connecting flight there?

dub-JFK flights are almost full, more free seats on the dub-atl but either way i want to book asap!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,093 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: layover in JFK or ATL? flying with delta...help!

"i wouldn't have to switch terminals in JFK? that does sound more tempting. would it be easy to find my connecting flight there?"

Very easy if you don't switch terminals, get off plane, look at screens to get departure gate number and walk to gate - you can walk the length of most terminals in around 15 minutes so it's easy.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,052 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: layover in JFK or ATL? flying with delta...help!

You won't change terminals. I am not sure why you are so worried about finding your 2nd flight.

You just look at the screen that lists departing flights/find your flight and it will tell you the gate number,then you walk to that gate. You speak English and you can always ask someone to point you in the right direction if you can't see where to walk for some strange reason.