We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another airlines bans under 12s from certain seats

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
321 reviews
Save Topic
Another airlines bans under 12s from certain seats

Most comments think its a brilliant move - as do i

dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2402242/Would…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another airlines bans under 12s from certain seats

Scoot have been doing this for a while now. I have a seat booked in this area for a flight next week, more so because it is in the front of the economy cabin (where I prefer), but no under 12's will be a bonus!

Edited: 26 August 2013, 22:58
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,214 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another airlines bans under 12s from certain seats

Not so much banning the under 12s - more a case of offering an upgrade at a cost.

However noise still carries in an enclosed tube so there's no escaping the "screaming child" but in my experience there are as many adults I'd pay not to sit next to.

Quebec City
Level Contributor
619 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another airlines bans under 12s from certain seats

I think this would be about as effective as having a smoking section. Sound carries, so if a poor child is really screaming its lungs off, you'll hear it regardless. And let's say you pay for this no-child upgrade, but get seated in the last child-free row, and in the child-friendly seat behind you is a kicking 8-year-old? Watch out for the complaint posts about how Scoot's "in silence" upgrade is a scam/con/bait and switch, etc.

All this hooplah about kids/no kids is silly, IMHO. We live in a world where there are people of all ages, and sometimes you have to actually interract with them, whether you want to or not. Or you could live like a hermit in a cave, and get your private jet.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,510 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another airlines bans under 12s from certain seats

I tend to agree with the last two replies. Sound carries. It might help, of course, if occasionally someone (primarily the parents) could try to find out why the said child is screaming in the first place.

I travelled recently on a flight where the air pressure had obviously affected a child's ears (in much the same way as it does an adult) and he was frightened/starting screaming. I suggested to the mother that she gave the toddler a drink. Hey presto, he drank, swallowed, cleared his ears and stopped screaming.

I appreciate that children scream for all sorts of reasons but then adults sometimes speak very loudly when their ears get blocked and they can't hear their own voice.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another airlines bans under 12s from certain seats

Most babies cry on decent & I think most travellers are sympathetic to the parents. However, bored, seat kickers on long haul are a different issue I would prefer to avoid.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 01:03
Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another airlines bans under 12s from certain seats

Agree with blutek -- The few times I finally got to sleep on an overnight flight to Iceland, I was rudely awakened by seat-kicking by an adult behind me! I can use earplugs & headphones to help with noisy passengers (including babies, who usually drop off to sleep pretty soon), but I haven't figured out anything to do for those kicks in the backside!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another airlines bans under 12s from certain seats

There are plenty of irritating adults I would not fancy as seat neighbors. At least they dont scream and throw tantrums. Arent hooks for the bassinets right in front? Where does Scoot accomodate these?

Kids wouldnt be a problem if parents would keep them under control and keep them busy. I have recently observed a family where parents were too busy watching movies. Sunny Jim was left to his own device and a CA to entertain him. This was kn C.

Wish more airlines would introduce a childfree area.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another airlines bans under 12s from certain seats

What I found interesting (and would probably encourage me to pay the extra £10) was this bit in the article:

<<

Each seat in the child-free area comes with extra leg room with a pitch of up to 35 inches - four more inches than their standard economy seat.

>>

£10 for an extra 4" legroom AND no screaming kids?

Bargain! ;0) LOL

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,773 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Another airlines bans under 12s from certain seats

as someone who endured a 4.5 hours flight from Lanzarote in January with at least 30 under 2's on board (I counted the push chairs on the luggage belt)I would happily pay extra for no kid zones . I know sound carries but the further I am away from the brats the better

northamptonshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another airlines bans under 12s from certain seats

I would pay extra to fly with NO kids . I recently flew to Vancouver with a severely disabled child behind my seat who screamed and I mean screamed all the way and kicked and lashed out all night . While I was sympathetic to the mother by the time the plane landed most of the travellers around her were ready to commit a serious crime .