We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Holidays - too expensive

T W
UK
4 posts
Save Topic
Virgin Holidays - too expensive

Hello!

I wanted to book a dream holiday of my family of four to Florida through Virgin Holidays & Cruises a few months ago. I picked and mixed the "14 day Disney B&B package" and the "7 day cruise package" together with both of them already including return flight tickets from London to Florida.

When I asked for the quote, the price was way too expensive, and it seemed like they included the flight prices twice as if I booked them separately.

The staff at the Virgin call centre weren't too friendly either when I asked for a breakdown of the total price. Virgin Holidays & Cruises staff were too reluctant to explain how the price was fixed and refused to breakdown the price item by item.

FURTHERMORE at the time of booking, the Disney B&B offer came with free "$100 spending money and free a dining plan", but when joint with the cruises package, these free $100 spending money and free dining plan offer were gone. When I asked why, the Virgin staff rudely said because we booked the cruise together so we could not have these two offers together. It seems quite laughable to me that I will be punished by buying more packages from Virgin Holidays & Cruises.

So I do NOT recommend joining two separate packages together.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,538 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Holidays - too expensive

Wrong forum - this forum is for Air Travel.

T W
UK
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Holidays - too expensive

This is the Air Travel forums...

Edited: 26 August 2013, 23:21
T W
UK
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Holidays - too expensive

sorry

Edited: 26 August 2013, 23:21
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,403 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Holidays - too expensive

A packaged holiday is just that, one price for the whole thing- they don't price airfare, transfers, hotels and the cruise separately.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,866 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Holidays - too expensive

T W,

Strange though it may seem, the holiday company is 100% right in not providing you with a breakdown of the airfare or hotel/cruise rates. Holiday companies build their packages from unpublished (consolidator) fares and rates. They are not allowed to reveal the airline and its fare; they can reveal the airline but not the fare, or the airfare but not the airline. The same is likely true of the hotels/resorts included in the package.

If I were you I'd look at putting together your holiday with separately purchased flights, cruise and hotels, and see how it comes out price wise. You then have some flexibility on each, for example being able to get the airfare down by flying one stop via a gateway city. Planning DIY can be more time consuming, and you have to be careful to allow for contingency when transferring from flight to cruise (allow at least 24 hours in case your flight is delayed), and you'd need a good travel insurance policy. But, you may find a better solution that way.

Also take a look at the Holiday Travel and Cruises forums. They may also be able to help.

Good luck.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 00:16
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Holidays - too expensive

"So I do NOT recommend joining two separate packages together."

I crossed the street today and almost got run over by a car. I recommend never to cross the street.

7. Re: Virgin Holidays - too expensive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 06:20