We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

I just had a really horrific experience with this airline. Please see my comments below:

Third World Experience of First (and Last) Flight on Spirit Airlines (ZERO STAR)

This was the default option for the Expedia vacation. I had never heard of it but thought how bad can 1.5 hrs. be???? Well, I was REALLY WRONG!!!!

First off: after receiving the confirmation, I went to the site and selected seats. To pre-select seats, you have to pay anywhere from $5 to $13 or randomly get assigned seats. Not a big deal--there are no pre-selected seats at the Southwest Airlines cattle call--I'll just check in early. Then, I noticed that they charge for carry-on and for checked bags other than 1 "personal item" (usually a purse for women). Not a big deal--there are workarounds.

The biggest thing that was BEYOND the PALE was we recently had a death in the family and the service coincided with the day of our return from our trip. Asking to move the flight forward a few hours so we can attend the service, I was told, ABSOLUTELY, NO BEREAVEMENT, NO MEDICAL, NO REASON WHATSOEVER for a change, but we were welcome to pay $124/person change fee and the difference in the cost of fares. Luckily, there are also other options and my AP, the deceased sibling, WILL attend the service.

To top insult to injury, when we left, we were charged $5 for a wheelchair for my AP--normally, I would tip this amount for the service anyway, but this highway robbery definitely essentially guaranteed that the employee who hustled my AP in a wheelchair and dumped him off at the gate will not be tipped. Then, there was the matter of the plane being 2.5 hrs. late for a 1.5 hr. flight--this on top of asking passengers to arrive at the airport 2 hrs. early. Luckily for Spirit Airlines, I was still enjoying the wonderful lunch I had before I went to the airport. The final "oddity" was the charge for beverages--$4, which is not a hardship for us as we had plenty of time to ingests lots of liquids in the 2.5 hr. delay and to refill our waterbottles.

So, to save a few bucks, is it worth dealing with being nickled and dimed to death, and to be treated like cargo rather than a human being (the handling of the bereavement/medical emergencies, promoting passenger dehydration)--EMPHATICALLY NO!!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,906 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

What's an "AP"?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

"WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business???? " - Because there are lots of people (like yourself) who want to fly at what they think is the lowest cost and/or don't do any research before booking with them.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

Why are they STILL in business????

=============

Because the likes of you choose them based on price only and do absolutely no research into the service you get before you book.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

Snap Tom.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,298 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

Thing is is that Spirit usually only has one to two flights a day from any airport to certain location. So if you had evening flight and you need morning, if they don't have the seats what else can they do?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,298 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

In addition, just curious, where were you flying from and to?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,311 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

"Asking to move the flight forward a few hours so we can attend the service, I was told, ABSOLUTELY, NO BEREAVEMENT, NO MEDICAL, NO REASON WHATSOEVER for a change, but we were welcome to pay $124/person change fee and the difference in the cost of fares."

If that's their policy it's fair enough IMO. Why should they provide free travel insurance to you at the expense of other passengers?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

You know why they're still in business. You liked them until you wanted to make changes. Most people don't make such changes, so may not even care about such policies (they may still encounter reasons not to like the airline). Wonder how many airlines would let you change flight times without charge to attend a service. Many airlines have eliminated bereavement fares, which weren't cheap, just less than many last-minute fares. If you want full flexibility, you have to pay more at the start.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,416 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

Pretty much the same with any airline unless you buy a fully flexible ticket which costs more of course. Which is why travel insurance should be used (and checked to ensure it covers changes due to death/illness of a relative).

Spirit will stay in business btw because many do check these things and don't expect the airline to pay for their own carelessness when booking.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,801 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

I don't see a horrific experience. I see someone who didn't read all the T&C and then was surprised.

Yes, they charge for everything. When comparing the price of a ticket you need to compare apples with apples. Look at the price, look at the extras and compare it to another airline where the extras are included. Sometimes Spirit may still be better, sometimes not.

While I am sorry for you loss, bereavement etc. is going the way of the horse and cart. Airlines just aren't offering it anymore. Which airline DOES offer it nowadays. In terms of the wheelchair. If Spirit charged $5 and you decided NOT to tip, then YOU stiffed the employee, don't blame Spirit.

In terms of the plane being late-could have been because of a maintenance issue, could have been the plane arrived late. Personally, I'd rather be late than fly in a piece of equipment that has issues.

So, your summary statement is your own. It is only partially grounded in fact AND I am curious--how did they promote passenger dehydration --charging for drinks????