We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

I just had a really horrific experience with this airline. Please see my comments below:

Third World Experience of First (and Last) Flight on Spirit Airlines (ZERO STAR)

This was the default option for the Expedia vacation. I had never heard of it but thought how bad can 1.5 hrs. be???? Well, I was REALLY WRONG!!!!

First off: after receiving the confirmation, I went to the site and selected seats. To pre-select seats, you have to pay anywhere from $5 to $13 or randomly get assigned seats. Not a big deal--there are no pre-selected seats at the Southwest Airlines cattle call--I'll just check in early. Then, I noticed that they charge for carry-on and for checked bags other than 1 "personal item" (usually a purse for women). Not a big deal--there are workarounds.

The biggest thing that was BEYOND the PALE was we recently had a death in the family and the service coincided with the day of our return from our trip. Asking to move the flight forward a few hours so we can attend the service, I was told, ABSOLUTELY, NO BEREAVEMENT, NO MEDICAL, NO REASON WHATSOEVER for a change, but we were welcome to pay $124/person change fee and the difference in the cost of fares. Luckily, there are also other options and my AP, the deceased sibling, WILL attend the service.

To top insult to injury, when we left, we were charged $5 for a wheelchair for my AP--normally, I would tip this amount for the service anyway, but this highway robbery definitely essentially guaranteed that the employee who hustled my AP in a wheelchair and dumped him off at the gate will not be tipped. Then, there was the matter of the plane being 2.5 hrs. late for a 1.5 hr. flight--this on top of asking passengers to arrive at the airport 2 hrs. early. Luckily for Spirit Airlines, I was still enjoying the wonderful lunch I had before I went to the airport. The final "oddity" was the charge for beverages--$4, which is not a hardship for us as we had plenty of time to ingests lots of liquids in the 2.5 hr. delay and to refill our waterbottles.

So, to save a few bucks, is it worth dealing with being nickled and dimed to death, and to be treated like cargo rather than a human being (the handling of the bereavement/medical emergencies, promoting passenger dehydration)--EMPHATICALLY NO!!!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

Hi

I agree stop acronyms, sometimes I cannot understand posts because of them.

Another rant because someone wouldn't do what the OP(bugger an acronym) wanted. These special circumstances are exactly what insurance is all about.

Death, sickness, accidents, loss or theft, it is not the responsibility of an airline or a hotel but the insurance company and if you chose to 'self insure' then you are the only one who has to pay.

Tough lesson, next time use your head, pay a few dollars and get insured.

Jackie

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,368 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

They're in business because people keep buying tickets on their airplanes. It's a pretty simple business model, actually. Charge dirt cheap fares to get on the plane and then charge a cafe menu of fees for various extras so passengers can pay for only what they want and nothing else. You just need to take the fees into account when booking the ticket to make sure the overall price is competitive with other airlines that include the extras as standard.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,724 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

I'm still wondering about this line:

"Luckily, there are also other options and my AP, the deceased sibling, WILL attend the service."

So........does the OP mean the service was changed--or that her aging parent (?) is now deceased too?!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,229 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

I had to read that twice as well, swmarket, but I think it meant that the Aged Parent was a sibling of the deceased person (that pesky possessive!) and - by now - attended the funeral (apologies for out of control syntax in this sentence).

Am a little surprised that Spirit would levy a charge for airport assistance, since it's usually offered by airport staff, nothing to do with the airline except for them to request the service. There's no indication of that at the airline's website; I wonder if it was an airport surcharge. Seems unusual, though.

As for the rest, travel insurance would have helped, along with knowing in advance what one was going to agree to purchase before pressing that button. Until more do their homework, the surprises will continue to engender the usual response.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

My, what a difficult to read post.

Agree with rdglady. I see someone who did not read the terms and conditions, did not research and did not make an informed purchasing decision, they simply picked the cheapest option and were then surprised when they realised what was inc in the very low cost.

Go figure.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,153 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

""Luckily, there are also other options and my AP, the deceased sibling, WILL attend the service.""

It's always good to have at least one deceased person at a funeral service, it gets confusing otherwise. Although, a true story, Delta Airlines did um..."misroute" my father when he passed away and we ended up with no one to view at the viewing.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

They are still in business even though their terms and conditions are NOT IN CAPITAL LETTERS. Because some people wouldn't read them even if they were personalised, written on vellum and edged with gold!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,645 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

"Although, a true story, Delta Airlines did um..."misroute" my father when he passed away and we ended up with no one to view at the viewing."

Did they give him miles for the extra routing? lol Sorry could not resist.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,724 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

Irish,

Did you write the appropriate rant, in ALL CAPS, to Delta?

SWT, that was my take..........but between that mis-written sentence and the one about still enjoying her lunch when she was ?at the gate?........sigh.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,368 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

Irish--I had read it ( deceased sibling) and said uhmmm, then reading # 26, I have tears running down my cheeks from laughing. Yes, Delta seems to have problems with deceased individuals. My brother accompanied his father-in-laws body for burial in Israel, The funeral was delayed since there were multiple coffins on the flight and they had been wedged in so tight--they couldn't get them out. Airline mechanics ended up removing side panels of the aircraft to facilitate getting them off the plane. I guess some people just don't want that final trip to end.