We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

I just had a really horrific experience with this airline. Please see my comments below:

Third World Experience of First (and Last) Flight on Spirit Airlines (ZERO STAR)

This was the default option for the Expedia vacation. I had never heard of it but thought how bad can 1.5 hrs. be???? Well, I was REALLY WRONG!!!!

First off: after receiving the confirmation, I went to the site and selected seats. To pre-select seats, you have to pay anywhere from $5 to $13 or randomly get assigned seats. Not a big deal--there are no pre-selected seats at the Southwest Airlines cattle call--I'll just check in early. Then, I noticed that they charge for carry-on and for checked bags other than 1 "personal item" (usually a purse for women). Not a big deal--there are workarounds.

The biggest thing that was BEYOND the PALE was we recently had a death in the family and the service coincided with the day of our return from our trip. Asking to move the flight forward a few hours so we can attend the service, I was told, ABSOLUTELY, NO BEREAVEMENT, NO MEDICAL, NO REASON WHATSOEVER for a change, but we were welcome to pay $124/person change fee and the difference in the cost of fares. Luckily, there are also other options and my AP, the deceased sibling, WILL attend the service.

To top insult to injury, when we left, we were charged $5 for a wheelchair for my AP--normally, I would tip this amount for the service anyway, but this highway robbery definitely essentially guaranteed that the employee who hustled my AP in a wheelchair and dumped him off at the gate will not be tipped. Then, there was the matter of the plane being 2.5 hrs. late for a 1.5 hr. flight--this on top of asking passengers to arrive at the airport 2 hrs. early. Luckily for Spirit Airlines, I was still enjoying the wonderful lunch I had before I went to the airport. The final "oddity" was the charge for beverages--$4, which is not a hardship for us as we had plenty of time to ingests lots of liquids in the 2.5 hr. delay and to refill our waterbottles.

So, to save a few bucks, is it worth dealing with being nickled and dimed to death, and to be treated like cargo rather than a human being (the handling of the bereavement/medical emergencies, promoting passenger dehydration)--EMPHATICALLY NO!!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

Aged Parent

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

Dear Destination Expert.

I DO research my vacation packages carefully. (For this 3 day holiday, I spent about 3 weeks researching and preparing for it.)

Be honest, if you do check the T&C, you are probably someone working in the legal or legal-related profession. A short trip is not on the same scale as signing up for a mortgage on a house, and few would expend the degree of effort needed.

While I understand that Spirit Airlines also need to make a profit, there is such a thing as professional codes of behavior. Enlightened self-interest might dictate that a partial waiver of the change fee might gain customer loyalty. People will understand and appreciate the gesture, no matter how insignificant...

Aggie

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

This is the first time I have encountered Spirit Airlines, although their business model is one that can make sense.

What many responders do not understand is I am not objecting to the nickel and diming--I did read this in the T&C,but rather that their inability to grasp the importance of customer relations in expanding their business.

What was particularly insulting was to say that they are sorry for my loss and by the way they will take advantage of my grief to make the changes right now. Luckily my head intervened.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

The employee you didn't tip for the wheelchair assistance was likely an airport employee, not a Spirit employee.

Spirit counts on people not doing research before they buy tickets. It's sleazy, it's unethical, but it's legal.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

I am not objecting to the nickel and diming....

=================

But your opening post stated....' So, to save a few bucks, is it worth dealing with being nickled and dimed to death....'

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,443 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

"if you do check the T&C, you are probably someone working in the legal or legal-related profession."

Rubbish. I do, and I'm no lawyer. I just want to know what I'm getting for my hard-earned.

If your AP was a sibling of the deceased, why did they not arrange the service for after you got home? Surely that would have been achievable.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

'Be honest, if you do check the T&C, you are probably someone working in the legal or legal-related profession. A short trip is not on the same scale as signing up for a mortgage on a house, and few would expend the degree of effort needed.'

I can't speak for others, but I do review the T&Cs before agreeing a purchase; it's a contract and I want to know details before accepting the terms. It takes less than five minutes to scan most airline T&Cs, and maybe another two or three minutes to focus on what's germane. Time well spent I think.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

"Be honest, if you do check the T&C, you are probably someone working in the legal or legal-related profession." - I don't work for anybody anymore and have never worked in the legal profession but I always check the T&C before parting with my money.

"Enlightened self-interest might dictate that a partial waiver of the change fee might gain customer loyalty." - You could have equally written this to say that you wanted Spirit to provide free insurance in case something happens that means I need to change my flights, that responsibility rests with the consumer and not the business.

London,England
Level Contributor
292 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

'Be honest, if you do check the T&C, you are probably someone working in the legal or legal-related profession. A short trip is not on the same scale as signing up for a mortgage on a house, and few would expend the degree of effort needed.'

"I can't speak for others, but I do review the T&Cs before agreeing a purchase; it's a contract and I want to know details before accepting the terms. It takes less than five minutes to scan most airline T&Cs, and maybe another two or three minutes to focus on what's germane. Time well spent I think."

I normally do not check T&C.

If I am buying a £30 flight on Ryanair, then I would hazard a guess that,all I'm getting is a seat from A-B. However if I was paying £2000 on a CW seat,then I think a perusal of T&C might be in order.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: WHY is Spirit Airlines STILL in Business????

Hi

With budget airlines checking the Terms and Conditions is extremely easy, it's not as though you have to trawl through pages and pages of small print.

You start the booking by choosing flights, then to get any further the website asks you if you want to book luggage and informs you how much this costs, you have to check or uncheck boxes to go any further. Then comes insurance, seat choice etc, and again you have to make choices before you complete the booking.

This is not something which is hidden in the small print it is blasted in your face, so those who complain have nobody to blame but themselves. And as for paying extra on fares so that we can cover uninsured passengers, which is what was asked here, then why on earth should we.

I would rather be nickel and dimed, or as I see it, make informed choices about what I want from a trip and what I don't want rather than paying for someone else to get drunk on 'free' booze at my expense.

Pay your way and stop expecting a free ride. I'm insured, my husband died on holiday a few years ago and so everything was covered. If I hadn't been then I would have had to pay, me not you, not anyone else but me.

Jackie