We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on changing flight in Frankfurt airport

sunny island
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Advise on changing flight in Frankfurt airport

Hi,

I would like to get advice for my upcoming trip.

My trip will be : Singapore - Prague, returning from Budapest - Singapore

I will be redeeming Krisflyer (SIN-FRA-SIN) and planning to buy Lufhansa tickets separately (FRA-PRA and BUD-FRA)

My first flight will be Singapore Airlines (SIN - FRA), arriving on 21-Dec 6.25am.

I am not sure if SIA will be able to help me check-in my luggage all the way to Prague, since lufthansa tickets will be bought separately. I have checked with them and was being advised that it will be decided by the ground staff on the departure day.

Now my concerns are :

1. Is there enough time for the next flight to Prague on Lufthansa at 8.20am? Next timing will be 9.55am.

2. Will I need to clear immigration and collect the check-in luggage at Frankfurt before I can check-in for Lufhansa?

thanks in advance

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,598 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on changing flight in Frankfurt airport

Separately bought tickets are always a high risk strategy but you might be able to get the bags checked through as the airlines are alliance partners but they are not obliged to do it on separate tickets.

If your first flight from SIN is delayed/cancelled resulting in missing the flight to Prague then you lose that ticket including the return from Budapest and as a minimum I'd go for the 9.55am flight to Prague - even this is no guarantee as any of the flights could have schedule changes between booking and travel which makes the connections impossible to achieve.

I'm fairly certain that you'll have to clear immigration on arrival in FRA which simply adds to the potential problems.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on changing flight in Frankfurt airport

Yes, you will have to pass immigration at Frankfurt (entry point to Schengen) whether your luggage is checked through or not.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,548 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on changing flight in Frankfurt airport

As contingency, Leave a lot more time than you really need for the reasons outlined by poster 1. Especially on the return trip. The last thing you want is to miss the once a day international flight home. Missing and having to repurchase that ticket would cost a small fortune.

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
65 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise on changing flight in Frankfurt airport

Confirmed, as a frequent Intra/Extra Schengen FRA traveller.

Arriving from Singapore is outside of the Schengen area, Prague is inside the Schengen area.

So you should go through immigrations at FRA and also have an extra security check which is especially during this time of the day with also lots of US flights coming in not a quick affair.

6.25 am till 9.55 am sounds like time enough but it´s not that much for FRA.

Baggage might be checked for PRG and customs there, but depends on the handling at SIN check-in.

sunny island
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise on changing flight in Frankfurt airport

Thank you for all the advices.

Looks like I will need to consider arriving 1 day earlier and take 8.20am to Prague the next morning.

Return leg from Budapest will not be a problem since I will be staying for 2 nights in Frankfurt before my return to singapore.

Thanks again! :)

Edited: 01 September 2013, 03:48
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,653 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise on changing flight in Frankfurt airport

Why not simply redeem Krisflyer for SIN-PRA and then BUD-SIN? It is possible to do that you know. Just use StarAlliance carriers.

sunny island
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise on changing flight in Frankfurt airport

Hi GeoMedic,

I have done the calculation and it's cheaper to get Lufthansa open jaw tickets + 1 night at hilton frankfurt airport than using 15% more mileages.

8. Re: Advise on changing flight in Frankfurt airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 06:38