We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When should I book?

1 post
Save Topic
When should I book?

Hello, everyone.

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot, but I'm not really sure where else to post this. I am going to be traveling to Scotland in mid-January. The dates are already set, as I have already confirmed the time off from work. Unfortunately, I need to book a Saturday flight both ways, due to work, otherwise I lose out in time in the UK.

Anyway, I'm having trouble figuring out when to book it. Is it best to book it now, or should I wait a few weeks/months? The cheapest flights I'm seeing right now are around $1,070 for a roundtrip flight from Albany, NY to Glasgow, Scotland.

Any advice?

Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When should I book?

I would wait for the next set of sales. There is, sort of, one on now, because BA have one so everyone else follows suit but January really is off peak, I see no harm in waiting until the autumn.

Of course, there are no guarantees so you might decide to book now and then be done with it , at least that gives you one less thing to have to keep an eye on but that sounds a little high to me. On the downside, if Syria really kicks off, oil prices will rise more and so will airline costs therefore.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,805 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When should I book?

I'm seeing fares of $909 for random Saturday dates in January with UA from Newark to Glasgow (direct non stop flights) which is probably a fair price.

You might get better at a later date but as your dates are fixed you have limited flexibility and the direct non stop flight is better than an indirect flight with the likes of BA if maximising your time in Glasgow is important.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When should I book?

Don't wait any longer, with the turmoil in the Middle East oil prices are sure to bump up, only making your ticket more expensive. If you're leaving in jan, its not peak season for departure, its sort of more around before the holidays so a drastic change in price probably won't happen. What you can try though, which may bump the price down a couple of hundred, is a late Friday night flight out. People usually all travel weekends and depending who you fly with, their prices will reflect this. Good luck!

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When should I book?

If you could get to a major airport, NY, Newark or Boston you would find prices a lot less.

5. Re: When should I book?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:22