We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connections at IAD

West Virginia
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Connections at IAD

We have a flight on United Airlines this coming Saturday out of Port Columbus Airport (Ohio) to Dulles through to London Heathrow.

When I first bought the tickets, the departure from Columbus was 7:10 pm connecting to a 10:00 pm flight to London.

Now the departure time is 7:49 pm connecting to this same 10:00 pm international flight.

Our connection time has shrank from 1 hour 43 minutes, to 47 minutes.

Is this going to be impossible? It is a through ticket............

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Connections at IAD

I had used same connection few times, both times United left on time, but on other airlines Delta, AA and US Air flights are usually delayed from Port Columbus, if I am making international connection in JFK, ATL or IAD, I always keep 4 hr connection to be on the safe side.

United flight at IAD went to two diff terminals last two times. There are no tube in IAD, since this is a RJ aircraft, I believe there are 3 or 4 United flights to IAD daily and they are pack, even if your flight land to the same terminal, from where your international flight is leaving, 47 mins is a tight connection. You will get your boarding cards for both flights at Port Columbus, but you have to check in at your international flight desk at IAD, they usually issue me new boarding card.

Good thing about IAD, once inside the airport, you do not have to go through security check if you change terminals through Air Tran. Call united, explain to them that you lost an hour due to their flight change, talk to supervisor. But you did not mention, how far out is your flight, if your flight is in next few days than you want to take earlier flight, otherwise wait because flight time can change again, and United will do this favour once.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,710 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connections at IAD

47 minutes is tighter than I'd want to take. I took a look at where the flight from CHM comes into IAD... terminal A. Your flight to LHR leaves from Terminal C which means you are going to have to change terminals. Personally, I would call to see if you could get on an earlier flight, or maybe fly via Chicago instead.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connections at IAD

How much time do I need to connect in Chicago?

West Virginia
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connections at IAD

How nerve-wracking!

They've changed us to departing Port Columbus at 5:53 and landing at O'Hare at 6:11 pm. Take-off from O'Hare to Heathrow is 9:10 pm.

We've no seat assignments now for the flight to LHR. But they say we will have a seat. *sigh*

West Virginia
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connections at IAD

Just wanted to thank everyone for your help last night.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Connections at IAD

When you check in at port columbus for your ORD flight, you can request for your choice of seat at this time for ORD to LHR, your flight is at 5.53, so you will be checking in at least an hour early, say 5pm, ORD time will be 4pm, Your ORD to LHR flight is at 9pm. You will have better choice now than later changing from their preassign seat at ORD.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connections at IAD

Just to say for anyone else looking for this info, we got into Dulles last night @ 9.15 on United Express from Indianapolis for a 10pm flight to Heathrow, landing at gate D4 and flying out from gate C8 (next concourse along, but gate 8 is near the far end). We were in boarding group 3 and got to the gate 10 mins before they called our group. A bit nerve wracking, but worked fine as no delays.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,265 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connections at IAD

I'm glad it worked out :)

West Virginia
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connections at IAD

Another follow up -

When we got to Port Columbus, we were there early enough that they put us on a 4:15 flight to O'Hare. So we frittered away part of our lives there even longer than we had planned. I hate that part of air travel but I hate missing connections even worse.

Our reward was a free upgrade to Economy Plus from United! The seats were pre-assigned when we did online check-in. I suppose it is possible one of the representatives from United triggered the system to do this because of my complaints about how they changed our original schedule. I did ask for the upgrade when they made the flight switch, but they said I had to pick the seats at check in.

Anywho - all worked out.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 09:07
10. Re: Connections at IAD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 06:21