We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR to USM via BKK with Thai, but on seperate ticketing

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,667 posts
349 reviews
Save Topic
LHR to USM via BKK with Thai, but on seperate ticketing

Dear all

Many apologies if has been asked before, but did a search and looked at the FAQs etc, and I can't seem to find the specific answer.

I understand about interlining agreements between airlines and different ticketing, but not sure about different tickets within an airline.

The problem: I have booked and paid for a pair of tickets from LHR to BKK [and return] with Thai Airways, but need to head out else where. We would normally book with Bangkok Airways, but as we are travelling Thai, for the small price difference it would be worth it if we can save time at BKK, opting for a short transit turnaround at BKK.

We need to get to Samui [USM]. If I book tickets with Thai from BKK to USM will I be able to check everything in at LHR and then just have a short transit at BKK before heading on to Samui?

Similarly on the return we need to get from Phuket [UKT] to BKK, if we booked tickets to fly with Thai back to BKK would it be able to check everything in at UKT and then just have a short transit at BKK before getting the flight back to LHR?

Would welcome any thoughts before I book.

Thank you to all in advance for help and suggestions!

TM

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR to USM via BKK with Thai, but on seperate ticketing

Have you asked Thai if your bookings can be connected?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR to USM via BKK with Thai, but on seperate ticketing

I would only do this if Thai would agree to connect them when you rang up to purchase. Otherwise on the way back a late flight could lead to needing to buy a new single ticket BKK to LHR which would be very expensive.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,667 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR to USM via BKK with Thai, but on seperate ticketing

LOL, thanks. Thai in the UK won't commit to anything!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR to USM via BKK with Thai, but on seperate ticketing

How much is a one way ticket bought on the day BKK to LHR? Is that size of gamble something you'd normally make?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,667 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR to USM via BKK with Thai, but on seperate ticketing

I know . . . something I advise against, but back to my good old favourite Bangkok Airways. At least they have a free lounge!!

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,142 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LHR to USM via BKK with Thai, but on seperate ticketing

Tough call Mitch...

Been delayed over 2 hours from la la airport, sorry Samui as much as its nice to sit in one of the nicest airports (!!) in the free lounge, thank goodness we were going back to Bangkok for a few days otherwise we would of missed our onward flight (at that time it was back to the UK) and would of been in the very situation you want to avoid.

Think Thai are the only ones to give you a definite answer. In the past though at times when having to change/add, problems with flights with Thai, and after phoning and sitting in the office in Bangkok for an age they were less than helpful on each and every occasion, found them very frustrating to deal with.

Or you take the chance and book for your times convenience and fingers crossed....

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,209 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: LHR to USM via BKK with Thai, but on seperate ticketing

Thai will also check you through on a separate booked PG flight and you might even get the BKK - USM boarding pass in LHR. But that depends a bit on the mood of the Thai computer system on your day of travel :)

Missing a flight when booked separate tickets is of course your own risk. But as you have booked the long haul flights already, I'd rather book BKK - USM with PG as you have pleny of alternative flights with them (compared to the only two daily TG flights) should you miss the one you booked.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LHR to USM via BKK with Thai, but on seperate ticketing

As has been said in numerous other posts on this same subject, the final decision is in the nands of the gate agents, who could be airline personnel or contract employeed. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

9. Re: LHR to USM via BKK with Thai, but on seperate ticketing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 05:17