We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline travel question - not completing inbound trip

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Airline travel question - not completing inbound trip

Hi,

I booked with AC to travel from Canada to the UK at Christmas. We are then visiting people around the country and booked to fly out of a different city back to Canada (same ticket).

details are:

YYC -> LHR (layover) -> ABZ

return is just LHR -> YYC

All flight are booked and operated by AC except the one LHR->ABZ flight which is operated by BA. it's not codeshare, we have to check in at the BA desk in LHR.

Basically, we don't need to go to ABZ anymore, so we phoned AC, they said cost to change was xxx (alot) but the best thing to do is just only check your bags to LHR (tell AC rep at YYC this when you check in) and pick them up in LHR, don't use the BA portion to ABZ. I asked if i would then still be able to check in for my return trip as sometimes i've heard of people forfeiting the rest of the ticket including the return portion. He said it's not an issue here as my return is from London. Of course there is nothing in writing but I wondered if anyone else had a similar experiencing..

thanks,

Greg

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline travel question - not completing inbound trip

I am not clear if this is all one ticket or 2 separate tickets.

IF you booked the whole thing on Air Canada as one ticket then the normal practice would be to cancel your return journey if any leg is skipped.

You may have just spoken to someone who has no clue OR for some strange reason this flight is different than all others?

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline travel question - not completing inbound trip

Is this itinerary all on one PNR?

If so, I wouldn't risk it. You can speak to 3 different Service Reps and illicit 3 different responses....

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline travel question - not completing inbound trip

Seems strange to me people have had their return flights cancelled because they didn't take a flight leg so i would be very careful and contact them again and get written confirmation.

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline travel question - not completing inbound trip

it's all on one ticket. I'm not going to risk it, as I don't want the concern of this while I'm trying to enjoy my holiday.

thanks for the replies though.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline travel question - not completing inbound trip

All this information should be in the fare rules for your ticket, which you can obtain from the airline if you can't download them from the website. From my experience, if you are on a multi-leg ticket and you miss one of those legs, then the rest of the ticket is null and void.

6. Re: Airline travel question - not completing inbound trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:19