We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How may I escalate a severe complaint to British Airways?

Mossel Bay, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How may I escalate a severe complaint to British Airways?

Hi. Any idea who I could email to forward a serious complaint to British Airways, like the top executive of customer services? My complaint is summarised below:

I made a booking to fly from Johannesburg via London to Almaty on BA on 03 April 2013. I waited in transit First Galleries lounge for my connecting flight.

The monitors in the lounge indicated that my flight gate to Almaty was not yet assigned, as plane was moving to one. As the time approached closer to boarding time, with the monitors still reflecting no gate allocation, I checked repeatedly with BA First Lounge staff, who advised that the gate was not allocated. I checked a few more times, until close to departure time. On my last check with gate staff, I was advised that the plane removed my luggage from the flight, as I did not show up. They investigated and confirmed that the BA airport system did in fact not reflect a gate and acknowledged it was their fault, so I should go to customer service and request a free change to the next flight to Almaty.

I did so, customer service confirmed with the lounge that I was not responsible for the change, and then issued me a free re-routing via Moscow to Almaty as that was the next available flight.

At the gate, prior to boarding, I asked the BA staff if I was permitted to transit in Moscow, as I held a South African passport and had no valid Russian visa. The BA gate staff confirmed that I would only be in transit, and hence no need for a visa.

On arrival in Moscow, I waited before the immigration counters for many hours before the connections desk opened. On opening, I was informed that my connecting flight with BA was from a different airport in Moscow, and without a visa, could not travel to the other airport.

Immigration authorities took me to a detention cell without explanation. I requested to speak to a BA representative and was denied this request. Nobody knew about my re-routing. My mobile had no roaming activated, so I could make no calls.

I was very lucky, when I checked for free wi-fi, whilst sticking my arm through the window bars, and picked up a signal for 15 min. free Wi-Fi.

I connected, sent an email to my company in Almaty (SRK) as well as BA, as I only had 15 minutes to attempt to inform someone to help.

My company contacted their contact in Moscow, as well as BA. BA arrived after a number of hours, apologised, but indicated that they were not authorised to arrange an onward flight transit to Almaty, or issue a return ticket to London, despite the fact that I held a paid business class return ticket Almaty to London, and that immigration officials were only prepared to release me from detention if I purchased a new BA ticket and provided proof in writing as such.

I emailed within the 15 min allowance to my company to purchase on my behalf another ticket Moscow to London. I had to show and email my e-ticket to an immigration official to assess. After assessment, I was informed that I would be placed on a flight back to London.

I was taken by immigration directly to the plane, from detention, to board. In London, I had to take transport and stay in a hotel until the next day's flight to Almaty, at personal expense. In Almaty, I had to stay in a hotel longer than originally planned, due to limited BA flights back to London (not daily), with meals. I had to take extra paid leave days to accommodate the extra days in London and Almaty.

I informed Bruce Harris of BA on the flight from Almaty back to London, who said he would inform BA. I believe he did.

After my business meeting in Almaty, I flew back via London to Johannesburg, the latter in First Class, paid for my myself.

On arrival in South Africa, I submitted a number of cases to BA online, with receiving acknowledged, but that was all. It is now 11 September.

I would expect as a minimum, my full flight expense to be paid back to me, plus my expenses in London and Almaty, plus my extra leave required.

Happy to provide evidence of my case, and evidence of all my attempts to contact BA, with no acknowledgement or resolution to date. Please forward to BA for a reply.

Quincy...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
31. Re: How may I escalate a severe complaint to British Airways?

I was referring to Ralph R comments.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,709 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: How may I escalate a severe complaint to British Airways?

What was painful? The OP making a mistake then admitting it on a public forum?

33. Re: How may I escalate a severe complaint to British Airways?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 18:05
34. Re: How may I escalate a severe complaint to British Airways?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 18:05
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,273 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: How may I escalate a severe complaint to British Airways?

The OP has not returned to comment, since he posted this "complaint" almost 6 months ago. I'm guessing that he is over his "pain"....

Healdsburg...
1 post
Save Reply
36. Re: How may I escalate a severe complaint to British Airways?

I have found that it is almost impossible to get through to anybody beyond the first line of customer service. I am still dealing with a stolen bag claim from Dec. and am working with BA customer service in New York. I thought I could take advantage of a 6 hour Healthrow layover in Feb. to find out who I can take my complaint to beyond the usual online process. None of the customer service agents I talked to could tell me who is the BA VP for customer service or customer relations. I asked my customer service contact to give me the name of a dept. director I could talk to to appeal a decision and haven't heard a response. My contact usually takes up to two weeks or more to respond to any inquiry. I think we've reached an age where airlines should be forced to improve customer service. Amazon sets the standard with 24 hour almost instant chat assistance available.

37. Re: How may I escalate a severe complaint to British Airways?

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 20:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: How may I escalate a severe complaint to British Airways?

They are not going to give you the vps name, and even if they did, directors and vps don't get involved at this level. They would just pass it back down.

I've never heard of " appealing a decision" for lost luggage. Quite simply the terms of compensation are laid out in the terms and conditions you agreed to at the time of purchase, be it the Montreal or the Warsaw Convention. You would be paid as per that for lost luggage.

Anything else is down to travel insurance. Have they paid as per the contract?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,355 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: How may I escalate a severe complaint to British Airways?

The VP (actually MD) for customer service is listed on the IAG website (Frank Van Der Post - www.iagshares.com/phoenix.zhtml… ), and it was posted much earlier in this thread. But the chance of him getting involved with a missing bag issue is unlikely.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: How may I escalate a severe complaint to British Airways?

Valkay8, claim on your travel insurance.