We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia ?

sydney
Level Contributor
368 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia ?

Dont know much about them ! Thinking of flying Syd to Phuket with them next year , any thoughts ? Are they full service ? What type of planes do they operate ?

Thoughts / recommendations ?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
386 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia ?

It's all on their website.

Flown with them dozens of times, no problem.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia ?

It's a budget airline so don't expect a great service and you have to read all the extras on their website before you book but if you know what you're getting and the price is right then they're a good option.

You can also check out the reviews for the same route on the www.airlinequality.com website.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia ?

Definitely not a full service airline. In fact the first LCC in Asia started by Malaysian Tony Fernandes who's friends with Richard Branson. Personally I would not do a budget airline for a flight longer than two hours but if you can take it and the fare is really cheap, why not. Just bear in mind you get what you pay for.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia ?

Not necessary cheap at times. They do served delicious buy-on-spot coconut fragrance rice though. Overall, voted as the best low cost airlines in the world, hence i would think Air Asia is pretty satisfactory in my cards

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,498 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia ?

While they are a discount airlines when I flew with them the plane were very clean and modern, staff pleasant and seats spacious enough. You need to pay for all the extra separately. Do not forget to order your meal when buying your tickets.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,316 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia ?

I've used them several times for short flights between 1 & 4 hours, & have nothing to complain about at all. A very good service at usually very good price, & I'm happy to continue using them in the future

Like any airline, people do make complaints

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia ?

The leader of no-frills airlines. True, cannot satisfy everybody but i sincerely think Air Asia is pretty reliable

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
918 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia ?

Have travelled with Air Asia from Melbourne, Aus, to Asia several times and then used their other domestic flights in Malaysia, etc.

We are always looking out for their specials as we feel the food is okay (for plane food), the seats more spacious (slightly but this could be imagined LOL) and the hostesses usually lovely and helpful. We have travelled similar routes (to Singapore, to KL, etc) with Jetstar, Tiger, etc and they have also proved okay but Air Asia is our favourite of the 3 discount/no frills airlines.

As above posters have said, watch when booking as you have to add each item on (seat, bag, food, etc) and opt out of the stuff you don't want but plenty of no frills work it this way.

You do not get a screen in your seat or entertainment etc (although you can pay about $10 for a tablet that has some music and movies on it, etc) so take a good book or your own headphones for your own electronics. We take our own munchies and stuff on and they never tell us off so that's a plus too as buying every snack adds up.

Hope you have a great time if you go, Thailand is one of our fave places. If you haven't been to Phuket before and have a little bit of time there though do try to get up to Khao Lak (about an hour north) or across to Ao Nang and Railay beach area's in Krabi (in fact there is HEAPS in Krabi that is stunning). Enjoy Phi Phi island too if you get there on a day trip. Walk up the hill (steep) to look out over the twin curving bays. Lovely.

Chongqing, China
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia ?

This is my letter wrote to Malaysia National Consumer Complaints Centre (NCCC),but no response

Dear Sir/Madam:

I have bookinged a ticket from Bangkok,Thailand to Wuhan,China on Sep.15,2013 from Airaisa office website(www.airasia.com), the departure date I need is Oct.11,2013,the ticket fare of the day showed on Sep.15,2013 at www.airasia.com is 628.75 CNY(China currency),but the last conform ticket is very sad, the departure date was changed by Airaisa e-ticket system, it turn into Nov.10,2013,the fare of this day showed on Sep.15,2013 at www.airasia.com is 783.52 CNY ,that is horriable for me, I sent the complaint form according to the website(http://www.airasia.com/cn/zh/e-form.page) they told me.they replied me on email they would give me the respones in 5 days . but after 5 days, I could not get any response of Airasia, so I called they, they told me they dont get my complaint form , that was absuletely lie, if you didnot recieve my form, why did your system reply to me? so I re-wrote a complaint form to them, after 5 days,I got a response ,they replied me I must change the date , everyone know the changing date was the way Airasia make the more big money, that means I must give up the ticket and have to booking a new ticket. For us, that is very unfair absolutely, the following is the evidence Airasia made a big trap.

The correct date I need is Oct.11,2013,the ticket fare of the day showed on Sep.15,2013(incident date) at www.airasia.com was 628.75 CNY, finally Airasa gave me the ticket date is Nov.10,2013,the ticket fare of the day showed on Sep.15,2013(incident date) at www.airasia.com was 783.52 CNY. I was very very shocked on the ticket they gave it to me, the ticket showed me the money I paid for the ticket is 628.75 CNY,that was the correct price of the date Oct.11,2013, but the date was changed into Nov.10,2013.this is absolutely big wrong!!

So I never touched e-booking system of Airaisa, that is not safe website.

Dear Friends of the world, DO NOT BOOKING AirAsia, absolutely that is a CHEATING website!!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia ?

@ Joe: have never heard of that consumers association. Even if there was, all correspondence will be in Bahasa Malaysia .....